Decibel ratings for music

I have been searching for days without a clear answer, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I use MP3Gain on all my music to level it out at 89dB so that each song is about the same volume, and this avoids having a quiet song followed by being blasted out by a loud song right after. All my music can be set at one volume on the headunit and left there to listen at full tilt.

Here is my attempted explanation of the way I understand music and test tones:

Let's assume I set gains with my DD1 using a test tone of 40hZ 0dB that shows 103dB on my MP3Gain program, and get the max volume to say 25 unclipped on my headunit... If I then play a song from my library that is lowered to 89dB, I'm going to have an extremely quiet setup because I'm tuned for 103dB and I'm playing 89dB music.

My original game plan was to take the 40hz and 1000hz test tones and lower them to 89dB as a "0dB" track and then for "-5dB" I was going to run 84dB and do it that way. I downloaded some test tones from this site and the 1000hz was able to be lowered to 89dB no problem, but the 40hz tone showed 80dB and showed clipping. If I raised the tone to 89dB it clipped very bad and wouldn't work.

Any input on this from music editors? Am I way off on my thinking here and should I just use the CD that came with the DD1?

thanks,

John

Also, I just downloaded the full 40hz zip file from a thread on here, and here are the results when I scan it with MP3Gain:

40hZ 0dB - 80.8dB

40hZ -2.5dB - 78.6dB

40hZ -5dB - 76.1dB

40hZ -7.5dB - 73.6dB

40hZ -10dB - 71.1dB

This seems to go with my theory of using a 0dB tone at 89dB as the base to tune my amplifiers, and every other tone is simply lowered by that dB rating in the title. I cannot seem to find a 40hz tone over like 83dB though, so I'm stuck and confused.

you would burp using 0db.. because its a tone..

for music you need OVERLAP... hence the -2.5 and the like.........

Tones, and music couldnt be more different.....

set your amps with the -2.5 or -5 track......

UNLESS all you do is burp... then, set it with the 0 tone...

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. I am not trying to figure out which tone to use (0dB, -5dB, etc..) I'm talking about the actual decibel rating of the music we listen to. Have you guys never played on song at full volume and had it sound normal and then the next song is really quiet or really loud? that's what I'm talking about when I say the decibel rating of the song. Old music was typically recorded at 89dB and new stuff is around 103dB. If you tune a setup to play 89dB music without distortion, then playing 103dB music will be incredibly loud. It's the same concept as tuning your system with a -10dB tone and then playing a 0dB tone. Its not going to end well...

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. I am not trying to figure out which tone to use (0dB, -5dB, etc..) I'm talking about the actual decibel rating of the music we listen to. Have you guys never played on song at full volume and had it sound normal and then the next song is really quiet or really loud? that's what I'm talking about when I say the decibel rating of the song. Old music was typically recorded at 89dB and new stuff is around 103dB. If you tune a setup to play 89dB music without distortion, then playing 103dB music will be incredibly loud. It's the same concept as tuning your system with a -10dB tone and then playing a 0dB tone. Its not going to end well...

you lost me

also..... know your gear... and all will end well...

So what you are saying is you are too lazy to use the volume knob?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Ok, let's try again. Tune your amps with a -15dB 40hz/1000hz tone, at say max volume of 25 on your head unit. Everything is fine and nothing clips or distorts. Now what will happen if you play Decaf music at 25 volume, no other settings changed?

Archived