Second Skin Audio

bass chamber? speaker placement problems.

I have been playing around with my subwoofer setup.. I built my box to fire the sub directly into my cabin through my decklid. My seats dont fold down so i cutout my stock oem subwoofer hole in my decklid to a 12 and sealed it with a rubber ring that i had. I noticed the sound is not that loud and the only benefit i would have is no trunk rattles. When driving with any windows down the bass gets almost inaudible. My guess is when i am driving with the windows down all the air that enters the car gets trapped in the back rear window where the subwoofer is also trying to move air..

My sub box and encloser are now near and facing the trunk, its much louder but yhe trunk rattle is horrible. The car is a lexus gs, what are my options. Im just going redo my whole trunk

So you just cut a hole in the rear deck plate to try and port it into the cabin? Is the box itself sealed or ported?

You can't just cut a hole into a sealed box to port it. And you also can't just cut a hole into the rear deck plate like that either. Not for the effect you want. Sealed enclosures and ported enclosures require different amounts of volume inside of them. You either build sealed OR ported as designed in accordance with the T/S parameters of your woofers. You would have been better off without that hole I think.

As for your options, you can build a ported box with an aero port that extends into the pointless hole you cut. You can replace/repair that hole and just have a ported box firing into the rear of the trunk (still rattles) and add enough sound deadener to your trunk to end the rattles. Or leave your sealed box firing into the trunk as it is, and sound deaden it to end the rattles. Although since you say you cut a "port" into that box and then re-sealed it, I'd build a new box no matter what you do. It's integrity has been tarnished.

You can't just cut a hole into a sealed box to port it. And you also can't just cut a hole into the rear deck plate like that either. Not for the effect you want. Sealed enclosures and ported enclosures require different amounts of volume inside of them. You either build sealed OR ported as designed in accordance with the T/S parameters of your woofers. You would have been better off without that hole I think.

As for your options, you can build a ported box with an aero port that extends into the pointless hole you cut. You can replace/repair that hole and just have a ported box firing into the rear of the trunk (still rattles) and add enough sound deadener to your trunk to end the rattles. Or leave your sealed box firing into the trunk as it is, and sound deaden it to end the rattles. Although since you say you cut a "port" into that box and then re-sealed it, I'd build a new box no matter what you do. It's integrity has been tarnished.

The box is temporary,Im building a new box,im getting another 12, and the reason i ported it was cause my sealed box was too big for my speaker. And i was in range of RF ported box specs, after i ported it i remembered why i always liked sealed.. It sounds alot better. And that pointless hole isnt really pointless unless some facts are poured out, some say its good to get some bass into the cabin.. But the subject is not my box, im trying to figure out what is the best place to place the box for sound and the reasons why it would be the best spot

Archived