Question About DD-1 and gains

I have been using the DD-1 and CC-1 and man are they amazing products... freaking awesome. But I must be doing something wrong as once I set all the gains / frequency correctly I still seem to be missing Bass from my subs. My setup is currently in a 2011 ford fiesta.

Equipment:

Head Unit- Kenwood KDC-BT958HD

Amps:

Rockford Fosgate r500X1D = Subs: 2 Rockford Fosgate R2D2-10 Prime R2 DVC 2 Ohm. (Sealed box with .78 Cubic Ft for each sub *roughly)

Rockford Fosgate R400-4D = Front: Kenwood Kfc-P709Ps 6.5-Inch Components Rear: Kenwood KFCX173 Excelon 6.5-Inch 2-Way

So I know my equipment is great and man it does sound really nice, just lacking the "hit from the subs"

Current Settings:

Setting of the Gains / Crossover were followed as directed by included instructions for DD-1 and CC-1

HeadUnit Distortion was detected through the amps. Track 1 = 29 Volume *before distortion, Track 2= 35 Volume (this is the max volume for this deck * no distortion)

Set the gains for both amps at volume 32 as the instructions said take the medium or avg of both numbers.

All settings were completed with HeadUnit at all stock settings, eq, etc...

Headunit no bass boost or loudness settings enabled. Subwoofer Level is set to +15 as I heard that is how to get the full 2.2volts for preamp out?? could be wrong.

I Set the Gains with the settings for Best Sound Quality supplied with the CD. I believe track 3 / 4 ( i dont have the cd in front of me atm)

Cross Overs for 6.5's set at 80hz

Subs are set and 80hz as well

On the Sub amp the gain barely made it up a turn before seeing the Red light on the DD-1, I left the Punch EQ off

This is were I seem to have a problem. The R400 is just fine and all settings sound great, but the R500 since the Gain is so load the subs are lacking now. The 6.5s seem to be doing all the work. I know the subs are working as certain songs do bring the subs into play but just not fully there.... I believe this has to do with the gain on this amp.

I'm just trying to stay out of the distortion zone and have my system done correctly. I just wanted to see if any of you had any ideas as what I could or should try or do.

**** I had all the same subs and speakers on a MBQuarts 1100.5 5 Channel amp, and had the same issue with the gain on the subs. So that is why I bought both of the Rockfords amp to see if it was an issue with my MBquart. Well still having similar issues. (all DD-1 / CC-1 settings for the MBQuart amp were all the same I listed for the Rockfords.)****

I can increase the gain on that amp but it will be distorting as seen by the DD-1 but that seems to be the only way to increase the subs at the moment. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Nc

Me personally, I use the -10db for the subs. That will give you some more output.

See I have also tried the "middle" thats track 5 = -10db, when using that gain setting it seems like I need to turn the headunit up higher to get more output from the subs but by then the Highs with the -5db are way to loud..... SO i am confused needless to say. Now if I do crank the gain up (say half full settings) on the Sub amp it will bang like crazy but it just shows distortion on the DD-1.

Thanks for you input thus far.

what db is best sound quality?

this is what i would do, go back to your head unit, find max undistorted with track 2 (1khz). Go back to track 1, using the volume you just found, and check your sub out. If it is distorted, back the sub level down till the distortion light goes out. Now go back to your sub amp at the new volume and set the gain with 3 or 5. or right in between the two.

I think your sub out is distorting because it showed distortion at 29 and you turned your head unit up to 32 to set the sub amp.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Have you tried just adjusting everything by ear? Then use a dmm to watch your voltage? Works great you should give it a shot. Feel your amp and subs make sure they aren't getting crazy hot.

Use 0db to set the headunit

Then -10db for the sub amp

I have set the Headunit with the 0db for both 1k and 40hz tracks in the beginning to find the decks distortion levels through the amp. I then set the gains to the -5db tracks for both the highs 1k and lows 40hz.

So are you saying set the high amps gains to the 0db 1k track? and then the -10db track for the sub amps gain? I think that might make the highs scream my face off.