prodigal_son Posted June 7, 2015 Report Posted June 7, 2015 I'm new here and more or less new to car audio. I read about 8 pages deep on this forum but haven't seen what I'm looking for, and I don't see a search function so I'm going to ask my dumb noob question. Thanks for reading..... Since loud low frequency sound is about moving lots of air, does a grill have any appreciable effect on subwoofer performance in the real world? I know that air filters with a fine mesh, or pore size, need to be huge to allow sufficient air flow in high performance internal combustion engine applications, so it seems like common sense that there would be a similar relationship to sub performance/efficiency. Has anyone studied this? Reasoned thoughts? The question is ultimately, should I use the more visually appealing fine mesh, or the industrial rebar and clips with ample open area version?I'm building a sub for my son's Honda Civic comprised of two Infinity Kappa 120.9s mounted in a 2ft³ sealed hardwood ply box with internal baffle, driven by a Pioneer GM-D9601, which is 800W rms x1 at 2Ω. Yes, I am doing the Big 3 and at least(adding another amp for other speakers) 2 ga OFC power and grounds, Mechman or similar alternator if needed(prolly more than likely). I want to protect his rear firing subs from the shoes and assorted other crap he carries around in his trunk. My idea of a simple sub add has turned into about a $2k project of replacing the entire audio system and lots of the electrical. Mights as well protect it.
firebirdude Posted June 7, 2015 Report Posted June 7, 2015 Never really thought about it before.... But now that I do, I'd suppose if the grill was extremely fine mesh, it might impede air movement through it. Is the finest commonly available mesh enough to affect the amount of air your particular subwoofer can toss? I have no clue. That's up to the rocket scientist to calculate. But it seems like a viable theory. Though you might think the find mesh more visually appealing, I'm betting your son thinks otherwise. Not saying the grill has to be flashy, but discreet might not be at the top of his list.
TaylorFade Posted June 7, 2015 Report Posted June 7, 2015 Negligible effect at most. Certainly not enough to worry about. Make sure the grills are tall enough to allow for maximum excursion though.
prodigal_son Posted June 7, 2015 Author Report Posted June 7, 2015 Thanks for the replies!I considered the excursion and assumed that I'd have to build the grills out with spacers or something.firebirdude, I actually picked out some chrome silhouettes of women and flames and he said he'd rather have the black mesh. BTW, I'm referring to steel mesh grills, not fabric.
prodigal_son Posted June 7, 2015 Author Report Posted June 7, 2015 I showed those to my son and he wasn't keen on them, but they do seem to be the best comprimise. Thanks for posting pics, firebirdude. Maybe I'll get some and have them powdercoated a color that appeals to him.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.