lifted08tahoe Posted June 12, 2015 Report Posted June 12, 2015 Alright I'm trying to get some help building an aeroport box for two Fi SSD 12's. Never built a sub box before but I'm pretty good with my hands so I'm going to give it a shot. Box is going in a 2012 Jetta TDI premium. Really wanted to double up the 3/4 mdf on all sides to make it as rigid as possible without putting dowels or bracing inside unless you guys think that's unnecessary. Maybe just double baffle it. I will be running these subs off of a hifonics zues 3000. Stock electrical. Max dimensions I got are width-31 inches, height- 16 inches, depth- 24 inches. Want the box tuned around 33 hz. I don't really know how big it should be. I was kind of thinking 4 cubic feet internal? I really wanted the subs and port forward. Here are the specs on the subs. I have two dual 2 ohm 12's. SSD12 DUAL 1 | DUAL 2 Fs: 30.1 Hz | 30.1 Hz Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil | 1.4 Ohms/coil Qms: 7.65 | 7.65 Qes: .37 | .37 Qts: .36 | .36 Mms: 248g | 248g Cms: 0.11mm/N | 0.11mm/N Sd: 480cm^2 | 480cm^2 Vas: 36.5 l | 36.5 l Spl: 86.1dB 1W/1m | 86.1dB 1W/1m Bl: 13.1 N/A | 18.7 N/A Xmax: 20mm Rms: 1000W Sealed box: .7-1.2 cuft Ported box: 1.8-2.5 cuft @ 33Hz Sub OD: 12.500 Cut ID: 11.125 Mounting depth: 6.500 Displacement: 0.14cuft If I have forgotten anything let me know. Thanks guys for all the help.
Triticum Agricolam Posted June 13, 2015 Report Posted June 13, 2015 I'm sure JoeX or someone will get back to you with a design. Doubling up all the panel is a waste of weight and material IMHO. I would do a double baffle and just use single thickness material with bracing everywhere else. Properly braced it will be stiffer and stronger than a double thick box would be anyway. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
lifted08tahoe Posted June 13, 2015 Author Report Posted June 13, 2015 Thanks man. Hopefully someone will help me out pretty quick. I was goin to get the wood and start on this project tomorrow. Yea I think I'm just going to double baffle it. I was making this box design and I looked up how long my aeroport needs to be. It says if I used two 4 inch aeros, the total flare length port required would be 12.31. Does it matter if it's inside the box or outside. Do you have to add the port displacement?
lifted08tahoe Posted June 13, 2015 Author Report Posted June 13, 2015 Going to try and make my own aeroports out of pvc
lifted08tahoe Posted June 13, 2015 Author Report Posted June 13, 2015 Does anyone know if this will work for what I'm trying to do??
Triticum Agricolam Posted June 13, 2015 Report Posted June 13, 2015 Looks like you have a pretty good start, you need more port area though. For two SSD 12"s you need at least four 4" ports, five would be better. Or you could use larger ports, two 6" ports would be fine. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
lifted08tahoe Posted June 13, 2015 Author Report Posted June 13, 2015 How much port area am I looking for? 6" ports wont fit on the front with the subs because its only 32" wide. Really wanted them on the front so I could seal off the trunk. What could I do?
Triticum Agricolam Posted June 13, 2015 Report Posted June 13, 2015 I'd shoot for around 60 sq in of port. Slot port might be your best option. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
lifted08tahoe Posted June 13, 2015 Author Report Posted June 13, 2015 Could you help me design one? I'm sorry I'm new to all this.
Joe X Posted June 13, 2015 Report Posted June 13, 2015 Here is a suggestion for round ports, power: to sub(s) rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 4", figure is just an assembly guide: NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside. Although this will work I would recommend the slot port version below.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.