Sundown Audio

How many watts can I run ?

Alex Coyne

Back on topic I have a VFL 150.1 brand new that I was planning on using but i'm thinking about using it at a lower ohm for a temporary setup while I wait for the alternator to get situated (either a refund/search for a new brand or a fix).

Either alternator option is going to take significant time and i'm ready to put at least something in my car (I have everything wired and battery installed).

I'm thinking about just running the VFL 150.1 at 4 ohms and up the ohms when I can get the alternator (I couldn't find the exact 4ohm output from american bass but most of the 3K korean amps I saw online did about 650-850 at 4 ohms).

What could I do at 4 ohms 600-800 watts that would be a signifcant upgrade from my sundown E12 prefab box on Q1 750.1 ? (I'm thinking maybe an SA 15 in custom box ?).

Just run another xs3400 battery in the back and you'll be fine with a 1000-1500 watt rms amp! If you're going to keep the stock alt, you'll defintely benefit from the reserve power/amp hours from a 2nd battery! Do the big 3 with some good 100% american made 100% copper 4ga or 0ga welding cable from any welding supply, stay away from the over priced car audio power cheap powerwire.

I'm always opened minded and if there's anything you want to know, just ask!

I opened my first Car Audio Shop in 1993 and 22 years later, i'm still at it!

Here we go again...........

Nope. I've said my piece. Either I made a point or I didn't. I don't want to distract from the benefit of this thread by creating a pissing match.

Its ok. One bad (relative) review on a piece of gear, on a forum youve belonged to , for about 2 hours, and you speak like you dont even know who Mike is, or how long hes been in the game.

Spite the 1.3 million good reviews, you look at what ever. That said, if you inquire about a alt, they will treat you like gold,... i dont have to.

Anyway, just spoke with Aaron.

He said this was a known issue/deal, they are aware. And it will be dealt with.

Im done here.

Just run another xs3400 battery in the back and you'll be fine with a 1000-1500 watt rms amp! If you're going to keep the stock alt, you'll defintely benefit from the reserve power/amp hours from a 2nd battery! Do the big 3 with some good 100% american made 100% copper 4ga or 0ga welding cable from any welding supply, stay away from the over priced car audio power cheap powerwire.

That's another option I've considered (run a 2nd battery and run the VFL 150.1 at 2 ohms instead of 4). I have the XS charger so I can charge the batteries anytime if I do decide on the dual battery option

just run both of the exact same batteries (+) to (+) and ground the rear (2nd) battery and your alt will charge them when you're not banging on it at full tilt! you'll be able to run the vfl 150.1 @ 1-ohm with no problems!

I'm always opened minded and if there's anything you want to know, just ask!

I opened my first Car Audio Shop in 1993 and 22 years later, i'm still at it!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Alternator situation is still a mess (Package was signed for on June 29th and I have yet to receive an email or phone call from the alternator company to confirm they have it). I really don't know whats going on (I've yet to get a phone call, only the occasional email and yet I've had two people personally contact him). The sense of urgency seems to be lacking which is disappointing (if I ran a reputable business and a rare issue was occurring, I would be calling the person the next day).

I ended up gettings two 12s from a new company (nemesis audio) and am running the VFL 150.1 at 2 ohms with moderate gain (so far so good, output is good and the SQ is above average).

Archived