Second Skin Audio

4th order in crown vic (now ported)*(back to 4th lol)*

dsw422

heres how it will be ported.. obviously the port will be inside the box, just want info on how to achieve the correct and EFFICIENT port length with this design..

ported.png

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

I'm not sure where you got your numbers from, but if you build a bandpass box you only need about 120 sq in of port area and that will be good up to about 3500 watts and will keep you under 20 m/sec.. If you go ported you should only need about 70 sq in of port to stay under 30 m/sec tuned to 32 Hz.

Its looks like in your sketchup drawing you have the port through the rear deck and the subs firing back. Having the two seperated like that could give you issues with the output from the port merging with the output from the cones. It may not sound right and I would recommend against doing that.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I'm not sure where you got your numbers from, but if you build a bandpass box you only need about 120 sq in of port area and that will be good up to about 3500 watts and will keep you under 20 m/sec.. If you go ported you should only need about 70 sq in of port to stay under 30 m/sec tuned to 32 Hz.

Its looks like in your sketchup drawing you have the port through the rear deck and the subs firing back. Having the two seperated like that could give you issues with the output from the port merging with the output from the cones. It may not sound right and I would recommend against doing that.

i got the numbers from the program.. lol.. i entered all the thiele/small parameters for the sub. designed the box for 5cu ft of proted and 3 sealed.. tuned to 42 hz.

what could i have done wrong?? and why is the carstereo.com site saying i need such a large port also?? i entered what the sub is.. 19mm xmax, 32 hz and it gave me the area.. is that a crappy program???

ur help is greatly appreciated..

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

The carstereo.com calculator isn't wrong, its just based on some assumptions that aren't always true. It assumes you are going to push the subs all the way to xmax, which depending on how much power you are going to run probably isn't going to happen.

So are you sticking with a regular ported box now?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

The carstereo.com calculator isn't wrong, its just based on some assumptions that aren't always true. It assumes you are going to push the subs all the way to xmax, which depending on how much power you are going to run probably isn't going to happen.

So are you sticking with a regular ported box now?

welllllll..... lol.. if u say 120sq in is all it needs then ill go 4th.. i said ported cuzz anything above 150 will be tight to fit in the deck( to look nice)..

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

120 is mininum, if you can do more, it will only help you. So if you can fit 150 sq in, I'd do that.

What frequency range are you hoping to get out of the box? Can you show me a screen shot of the info you put into WinISD for the sub?

Builds:

120 is mininum, if you can do more, it will only help you. So if you can fit 150 sq in, I'd do that.

What frequency range are you hoping to get out of the box? Can you show me a screen shot of the info you put into WinISD for the sub?

ok.. hoping for high 20's all the way to high 30s if possible.. i kno the graph i shown earlier was peaking 40's to 50's.. my buddy listens to hip hop, r&b and rap.. so whatever u think is best..

ill get the screenshot when i get home tonight.. im at work now.. but i entered only the things listed in the downloadable info on Lanzars site for this sub..

Edit: and yes, i kno for those genre's of music, ported is usually the way to go.. but as mentioned, by buddy really wants to port thru the rear deck.. thats y 4th makes more sense

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

here are the parameters i entered...

i may have the Pe wrong.. i am assuming that is the woofers rms rating...

ported_1.png

EDIT: I just realized that i have everything set to standard.. so u are absolutely right on port area..

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Archived