[PLAYING!] 2 RE SX 18s on 2 RF T1500s 16 cube walled Saturn

Not much in the way of pictures to show, the second layer is done and I'll be posting those later on but I was wondering about what would be good for bracing that wouldn't take up a bunch of volume. One local shop that has a fair reputation tells me that 2x4s are sufficient. I'd like something like threaded pipe with flanges on the end but the prices I was setting at Lowe's would put me over 200 if I ran two braces front to back two top to bottom and one side to side. Anyone have ideas for bracing?

I love pipe bracing. Usually HD or lowes will cut and thread the pipe for free. Atleast here they do. What kills you in price are the flanges. You can get them way cheaper from McMaster. Should bring down the cost quite a bit.

I think it looks really slick so I'd really like to go with it but it's just so expensive. I'm going to go to a local steel supply store tomorrow for another section of 2" angle iron and I'll see if they stock steel pipe. I really feel like having the flanged supports in the port visible would be pretty dope but this build is sorta being built on a budget. If it boils down to it I'll talk to some of the accounts that my job interacts with that might be able to work deals with buying materials from Lowe's or HD. I work at Advance Auto so we have accounts that also work in construction so they might get better deals on materials. What are your thoughts on 2x4s or 4x4s. they'll take up more volume but it'll save a ton of money

I would not worry to much on bracing, the fiber glass will do a lot on the seams and the sides are what 3in think now? Put a thick baffle on the front and I would say good to go with no bracing. If you are doing a top port then angle iron where it hits the baffle. Or a center port will do a lot for strength as well.

But I would pass on pipe/wood bracing.

Suburban Build Log

"So much money and time spent making copper winding move up and down a magnetic pole"

DC Audio Eclipse

The shell looks badass sir

Thanks dog! Just placed my US Composite order so the next thing is fiberglass! Should be here by middle of next week! Oh and I still have to make the baffle and decide on a tuning, get the pipe for bracing (just 42 bucks for a 21 foot piece of 1 1/4 steel pipe!)

I would not worry to much on bracing, the fiber glass will do a lot on the seams and the sides are what 3in think now? Put a thick baffle on the front and I would say good to go with no bracing. If you are doing a top port then angle iron where it hits the baffle. Or a center port will do a lot for strength as well.

But I would pass on pipe/wood bracing.

it's only two layers of 3/4 thick with 2x4s on the outsides of the sides and soon on the back of the box as well. baffle will be 3 layers thick. I'm doing a port along the top of the box, so I'll probably be doing a fair bit of bracing, and I'm already with ya on the angle iron. Picked up another 8 foot section of 2" angle iron today to do the bottom mounts of the box, brace the front to the sides and the sides to the bottom. for the price that i just got from the steel supply store, I'm not exactly dreading the cost now

What equipment you using? I still don't think you need 5 braces in the box. But that is my opinion. And I hate glassing so I am a fan of angle iron everywhere you can.

It is looking really good. That is a lot of work will all the angles, Good job :)

Suburban Build Log

"So much money and time spent making copper winding move up and down a magnetic pole"

DC Audio Eclipse

What equipment you using? I still don't think you need 5 braces in the box. But that is my opinion. And I hate glassing so I am a fan of angle iron everywhere you can.

It is looking really good. That is a lot of work will all the angles, Good job :)

I'm running two RE SX 18s each powered by their own RF T1500 but I plan on moving up to about 6-8k eventually and of course upgrading subs and everything else. I'm not really building this box for just these subs but for systems in the future and just about be able to toss them in and go!

dope. i'm glad to see another working with a saturn s-series.

could you link me to your build, I'd like to see what you've done with yours!

Better to overkill on structual integrity instead of building it just strong enough for the first setup

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Better to overkill on structual integrity instead of building it just strong enough for the first setup

True true. I don't think they knew that I planned on eventually going bigger in the same enclosure but the figures I have for my box will work for the subs I plan to go to next

Archived