interscope8 Posted July 8, 2015 Report Posted July 8, 2015 Hey everyone! I picked up 4 older PA Mofo 15's a few weeks ago. All of them were blown, threw $100 down for all 4 of them in hopes that I can use the motors to build some semi-decent budget 15's. Anyone have advice on the softparts for them? Im getting some 8 spoke baskets in, not sure on how high of a surround I need or which coils to go with. The motor doesnt appear to offer much throw, but it should handle decent power because it'll take 4" coils. Any help would be awesome. Cheers
Cardboardcat15 Posted July 8, 2015 Report Posted July 8, 2015 I don't know much about building subs, but the guy to talk to is Brian. You might find some of his videos useful. https://www.youtube.com/user/audiofanaticz/featured EDIT He's admin here, he may chime in if he sees the thread My Channel on YouTube. Check it out for cinematic-style Car Audio videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcSMhtT-rpopJbdybubDgnQ New 2014 Scion TC 4th Wall Build https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/217173-2014-tc-4th-order-build-3-fi-sp4-15s/
interscope8 Posted July 8, 2015 Author Report Posted July 8, 2015 Thank you I appreciate it. I'll start poking around his page. I've reconed subs before but never put them together from the motor up. Just need help picking out the appropriate parts.
audiofanaticz Posted July 8, 2015 Report Posted July 8, 2015 Parts will be dependent on specs of the magnet and basket. The gap depth, the gap inner and outer diameters, the top plate thickness to determine the winding height of the coil along with how many layer coil.Also the specific baskets will need to be measured from the bottom to the spider landing height that you are using which will be used to determine the former height of the coil needed, as well as the diameter size of the spiders being used. How many spiders will kind of be dependent on the motor strength because a spider setup too stiff with a weak motor is not going to move the cone, but a spider setup too loose can cause over excursion issues and bottoming out the coil, or the coil jumping the gap. Im not really familiar with the Mofo speakers, but one thing I do know is parts can get expensive and sometimes getting the right parts is hard to do since said companies with parts that may work wont sell them out right. So you will most likely have to deal with a 3rd party guy that sells just parts (which there are a few off), but the markup is sometimes insane sadly. Also a thing to note is that just because a woofer claims for example a 3inch coil, doesnt make it a 3inch coil. Some manufactures that say 3inch coil and the coil is really 2.8inches, while some manufactures it maybe 3inches, and others maybe 2.2 inches. So measuring is a MUST. You are also going to need a caliper to measure, you can get by with a digital caliper, but it will be tedious to work with because it will stick to the magnet. The plastic ones work the best due to them being plastic.I use to have some semi-tutorial videos on my channel but set them most to private due to a "company" trying to use them as theirs. Here are a few sites that you maybe able to find parts that you need: http://www.caraudiobargain.com/parts/ http://shop.subwooferparts.com/main.sc;jsessionid=0E598162B4919871E583CFCB48367A63.m1plqscsfapp02 https://fixmyspeaker.com/shop/ https://www.springfieldspeakerrepair.com/ Good Luck
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.