Second Skin Audio

RMS requirements for 4th Order Bandpass RF HX2 12's

Ok, so since I am getting called off from work due to the summer time. I have seem to have more free time to build stuff.

I had enough spare wood to build a 4th Order Bandpass for 2 Rockford Fosgate HX2 RFD1212 I had.

I called RF and spoke with Steve. He gave me the following specs based on his program:

1 cf Sealed each-----------------------------------1.11cf with displacement

2.8 cf Common ported chamber----------------3.00 cf to account for the port

40 sq in port area---------------------------------6.375" square port

10.25" port length

Tuning is 50 Hz

Range is 30-70 Hz

External dimensions 46.5"L x 17.5"D x 14.5"H

Took a few hrs to build, so here she is. The goal is to run 2 of these boxes in Christian's Ram extended cab just to make use of them!

IMAG1368_zpsnnxaced6.jpg

Went with the Old School RF Diamond as a port, ok, ok, it's a damn square,......still a diamond. lol.

IMAG1372_zpshpfniw7o.jpg

Another view before painting the port red.

IMAG1369_zpsz0qe7spx.jpg

Now the reason for the post. RMS requirements for these subs in this enclosure??

They're 500W RMS each per RF. I'm assuming this is for sealed enclosures.

I have read that bandpass enclosures "reduced power to operate". What does that mean percentage wise?

The rule of thumb- that I've read is "A ported enclosure can play with 25% less recommended power due to efficiency".

Does a bandpass offer that same reduction in power??

Here we have a Crossfire VR602. 600W RMS @ 4 Ohm at 12.5V. @ 700W at 13.8V.

I can rewire the subs to 1 Ohm, and run a Crossfire VR1000D 1100W @ 1 Ohm at 13.8V.

Since you can not hear distortion due to the design, is increasing the power a bad thing????

Any input would be helpful. I do not to blow these subs.

-Frank

I played the subs with the Crossfire VR602. The only bass CD I had was burned in my other videos. I think my neighbors are tired of the same damn song playing alot. lol.

Anyway, the enclosure plays this song well in the garage. Some bass notes must be higher than 80 hz, because they sound diminished. But at about 30 sec point of the song, there's 1 or 2 bass notes that just makes this box shine better than the T1's or RFR3115 ported at the same note. Hope this not a one hit wonder enclosure?

When testing, I had no mids/highs to make up for any other music to blend in with the beats.

So should I try the VR1000 and check the output of the enclosure as well??

-Frank

Yeah, I did think about that when making the measurements at first, but the magnets would have been to close to the port.

So will the mids make up alittle of what the enclosure in lacking? I definitely need to do an in-truck test with this box.

-Frank

By the way.. Don't worry about power. Bandpass boxes tend to have more impedance rise. If built right they are more efficient and even with less power from the amp they get loud

Yeah! I told Steve I read "to tune bandpass to 45Hz". He told me, "to tune to 50Hz per the program. Any lower and the enclosure will play a lower range".

Again, I'm new to 4th order stuff and only going by what they tell me for now. I tried WinISD and it keeps giving me a 62Hz tuning point. So Idk!

I guess I can make another port, but I need JoeX to look at the specs and see if the enclosure is off a lot or a little.

Getting a hold of Christian to come by and install the enclosure to test it difficult. lol. He's always busy " Doing nothin' ".

Frank

Archived