Second Skin Audio

switching sub size of the same model

dnb1982

Say you had a 15 and an 18, both with enclosures built to the manufactures recommendation, same port tuning, same amp powering them, ect. Would you noticed a difference in anything besides output? Is the sound produced going to be the same?

Just wondering because I have never ran an 18, nor have I heard one in person. I have ran 15's for the past 10 years. I ran twelves of one of the same subs but it was at a different port tuning. The main reason I ask is because I am trying to figure out whether to go with a single 15 or single 18.

Hopefully what I am trying to ask came accross correctly... Long day. lol

if choice is between single 15 or 18, go for 18 for sure,if its a well made subwoofer and box is tuned propperly it will sound good and get loud. I always ran 15s and recently installed 18, things awesome

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

if choice is between single 15 or 18, go for 18 for sure,if its a well made subwoofer and box is tuned propperly it will sound good and get loud. I always ran 15s and recently installed 18, things awesome

The reason I ask is because I am going to order a Sundown X, but not sure which size sub to go with. I figure with the 18 I will get more output for my money, but wondering if that comes at the expense of anything else... like the accuracy or type of bass produced. Probably a stupid question, but just trying to make sure I make the right decision

good subs wont lose accuracy as cone gets bigger usually

cheaper ones lose accuracy because the motor is not strong enoguh to handle the heavier cone weight u get with a bigger coned subwoofer

Kenwood excelon ddx795

McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

If you have heard that a 18 subwoofer sounds like crap that's false unless it's a crap woofer. Research what you are buying and you will have no issues as long as you have the space.

the reason i went with 1 18 is because i couldnt fit 2 15s and i didnt wanna pay for 4 12s or 6 10s lol. those woulda been hard to fit too in the space i had

Kenwood excelon ddx795

NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

2007 Yukon xl

If you have heard that a 18 subwoofer sounds like crap that's false unless it's a crap woofer. Research what you are buying and you will have no issues as long as you have the space.

I have heard people talk about 18's being more "boomy" and smaller subs more "tight" sounding, but I figured most of that would all just have to do with the enclosure. I have a trailblazer so space isn't an issue for either sub, and I don't mind not having any trunk space either. I was just thinking if I didn't want to have to upgrade later maybe the 18 would be the better option considering it should give me more bang for my buck. I have been researching and at first I was going to go with a 15 and use a box design I came accross on here that you gave to someone. :)

the reason i went with 1 18 is because i couldnt fit 2 15s and i didnt wanna pay for 4 12s or 6 10s lol. those woulda been hard to fit too in the space i had

I can fit two 15's, but don't think I want to spend the money for the electrical upgrades to run them, at least not at the moment. And besides, I figure I would probably be happy nowadays with a single sub setup as long as it gets decently loud and sounds great doing it.

2 15s on same power as 1 18 will get louder

Kenwood excelon ddx795

NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

2007 Yukon xl

2 15s on same power as 1 18 will get louder

Even though the 15's would be well below their rms? I mean I understand there is a good deal more cone area with a pair of 15's over 18's, but at what point below their rms would you figure cone area doesn't become a factor anymore?

Archived