Second Skin Audio

Is bigger better?

DeeBoy718

Subs up, port back (centered) works probably the best on average I think. This all depends on a lot of things, but to gain an advantage there you will need the enclosure close to the hatch, about 6" give or take. But pretty much any config does well in an SUV. I have my sealed 15's firing up right now, and they're pretty decent.

I've also heard from reputable sources that subs up, port side works very well too. It will make one side of the vehicle louder though. Porting passenger side will make drivers seat the louder seat.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

@ gckless, I removed that factory metal panel that swings down and meets up with the seats when they're laid down, and the plan was to mount my amps to a panel and find a way to bolt the panel to my back seats while giving the wiring enough slack to be able to still lay the seats down and tweak the amps. That would gain me a good 6-8 inches to push the sub box back, so it wouldn't be close to the hatch, more like a foot or so away from it, so would that translate to sub and port back being a better option? Here's a pic of my current setup (yes, it's audiopipe, or audiopoop, as a lot of members refer to them). I know I'm gonna get flamed for running audiopipe, but I don't compete, it's a daily setup, and it's set conservatively and never run hard.

20150404_161158_zpsijrnuz3k.jpg

CAM01344_zpsb6d19507.jpg

Here's a pic of the box before I finished it, just to show how much of my trunk it takes, and why my wife wants it out.

20150720_183531_zpsp4be6byl.jpg

That (pointing finger) is where I plan to make a rack/panel similar to what I already have to mount my amps.

20150722_144628_zpst7nn3qt4.jpg

and this is the amp layout I had in mind behind the seats. I want to move the batts to under my seats (fingers crossed that they fit), and run my power & ground runs from said batts up to my distro blocks, then fuse each power run to my amps. A simple setup.

5b040b40-2648-4fcb-a73d-d280e83c399e_zps

1997 Ford Explorer
Head Unit: Pioneer AVH4400BH Double Din
Avic-U260 Navigation Unit

Doors:
2x Rockford Fosgate PPS4-8- Front
2x Rockford Fosgate PPS4-8- Rear
4x McLaren MLT-2 tweeters

Amps:

Audiopipe APDL20001D- Bass

Audiopipe APCL-6002 Mids

Audiopipe APCL 1004- Highs