Second Skin Audio

reedal needs some assistance with the enclosure

reedal

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's the final draft.

Dimensions via torres:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag321/reedal931/dimensions%20Capture_zpspeagwqtq.jpg~original

enclosure model of port configuration:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag321/reedal931/Enclosure%20Capture_zpsqhmvnoy6.jpg~original

cut sheet:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag321/reedal931/cut%20sheet_zpsk8fmxqkp.jpg~original

Thoughts, critiques are welcome. I'm curious as to opinions what material would be best that i can get from home depot or lowes. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a corded router, and in a few moments I'll be placing an order from parts express for a circle jig.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it.

edit: mobile allows to post images the way its supposed to be done, firefox doesn't. sorry for the links

Its hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like your port is too wide after its splits into two. If its 6.5" wide before the split it should only be 3.25" wide after the split.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Oh ok. Well that makes sense. I kind of thought that when you said the center port would cause them to be separate chambers but I wasn't sure. I'll adjust for that and change my cut sheet

So if I were to leave it the way I have it designed, that would make my tuning lower than I intend correct? And bottleneck the port? I'll change it so its 3.25 per side, I just want to understand it better for future knowledge

So if I were to leave it the way I have it designed, that would make my tuning lower than I intend correct? And bottleneck the port? I'll change it so its 3.25 per side, I just want to understand it better for future knowledge

No, if you left it the way it was, it would tune you higher.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Oh ok. More port area in the same volume = higher tuning

You got it.

Builds:

Oh ok. More port area in the same volume = higher tuning

You got it.

Thank you for the assistance. It's very much appreciated. Are you able to elaborate as to what JoeX was getting at when he mentioned the box form factor? Can that ratio affect the tuning and/or air movement/velocity or something?

Thank you for the assistance. It's very much appreciated. Are you able to elaborate as to what JoeX was getting at when he mentioned the box form factor? Can that ratio affect the tuning and/or air movement/velocity or something?

I'll leave it to JoeX to elaborate on his questions.

Box form factor can affect how a box sounds, but this generally only becomes an issue with more unusually shaped boxes. For example, if you had a box that was really long and narrow you could because to have some transmission line like effect that could throw off the tuning. This is actually done intentionally with some home audio enclosures. They are called "mass-loaded transmission-lines" are kind of a combination of a ported box and T-line.

Builds:

Archived