Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Is winISD tripping or am I dense.


Recommended Posts

Posted

I recently came into an old Rockford SPP-158. I am making it into a home sub for my friend to mix his drum and bass music on. This will be a gift for his wedding coming up next week. I have always been of the understanding that to create a proper fourth order you must have a larger ported area than sealed. Any idea why winISD is saying otherwise?

ISWINISDCRAZY.jpg

Posted

That's because 4th bandpass designs you see around rely on cabin gain and peak to get loud as possible. These designs wouldn't work very nice out of the car.

Posted

...I have always been of the understanding that to create a proper fourth order you must have a larger ported area than sealed. Any idea why winISD is saying otherwise?

Because that is an incorrect assumption. Things a done a bit differently in the car audio world. When not being used in a car most 4th order bandpasses have a larger sealed side. Even when used in a car having a larger sealed side isn't uncommon if you are after a flatter response curve.

Why not just build a regular ported box?

You are using an old version of WinISD, the new one is a lot better, you can get it here: http://www.linearteam.org/download/winisd-07x.exe

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Thank you for taking the time to respond. This cab will be used in home for music reproduction, not in car. I am looking at a fourth order for the large passband and I have always wanted to build one :D so for use in home the larger sealed enclosure would be preferred? Thanks again!

Posted

No prob, glad I could help.

If you want to build a bandpass box just because that's what you want to do I totally understand. You will almost certainly get a wider bandwidth and better efficiency with a ported box though. This is especially true for home audio use.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

No prob, glad I could help.

If you want to build a bandpass box just because that's what you want to do I totally understand. You will almost certainly get a wider bandwidth and better efficiency with a ported box though. This is especially true for home audio use.

I agree. The bandpass I built for home theater use is the size of a refrigerator lol. Little different for straight music tho. What is he going to power it with?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 8896 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...