Ric_Moon Posted August 21, 2015 Report Posted August 21, 2015 Hey everyone, I would appreciate any help building a box for 2 12" Hertz HX300D subwoofers. I have a Lincoln MKS with plenty of trunk space, but Hertz recommends smaller boxes. I listen mostly to rock/metal/classic rock, and rap. If I had to guess, I'd say 60% rock, 40% rap. My understanding is that ported boxes will hit harder with rap, but I will lose some sq overall. Should I go with ported, sealed, or try a t line box? Also, what dimensions should I use? Hertz recommends anywhere between .77 and 1.35 cubic feet for 1 sub. So if I have 2, should I just double that number? They also recommend using 1" of Fonoform on all walls except for the driver wall. Is that something I should definitely include? I appreciate any help on this, I have done a lot of research and this forum comes up the most. Thanks in advance!
Triticum Agricolam Posted August 21, 2015 Report Posted August 21, 2015 Ported boxes don't necessarily have lower SQ than sealed boxes do, in fact they can have better SQ properties if designed to do so. With those subs I would recommend a ported box. I haven't crunched the numbers to see what size box would be best, but 1.35 cu feet sounds a bit on the small side. As far as the Fonoform goes, I wouldn't bother with a ported box. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Ric_Moon Posted August 21, 2015 Author Report Posted August 21, 2015 Thanks! How should I determine the right size? I downloaded WinISD 0.44, but it didn't have the HX300D listed, so I created it and used the info from Hertz' website. I left a couple of fields blank since I didn't know what to put.
Joe X Posted August 21, 2015 Report Posted August 21, 2015 The HX300 model pretty nice at 1.4 net @34Hz but 1.75 net would give you more efficiency while sacrificing very little sound quality: 1.4 net @ 34Hz: 1.75 net @ 34Hz: Group delay for both: If you are not going to overpower the subs maybe 1.75 net ported would be a nice choice for a little more output, sound quality will stay good in either case.
Ric_Moon Posted August 21, 2015 Author Report Posted August 21, 2015 Joe X. I must have looked at about 6 or 7 Hertz threads on this forum before signing up, and you posted in all of them lol. You're awesome, I appreciate it. So for 2 subs, how many cubic ft should my box be? Edit- I will be powering the pair of subs with a JL 1000/1v1 monoblock amp.
Ric_Moon Posted August 21, 2015 Author Report Posted August 21, 2015 I looked at some example online, it looks like a box that is 19x32x13.25 has a net volume of 1.75 per sub. I'm assuming that's what I should be aiming for?
Joe X Posted August 21, 2015 Report Posted August 21, 2015 Yes 1.75 net It looks a good compromise between sound quality and output, you gain like 2dB without compromising quality.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.