Kardov,

We traded in the 99 GMC jimmy SLT for the down payment. I bought the truck whole sale for $8500 back in 2003 or so, turned out to be a lemon. Transmission went out, it was hit in the front and pulled to the the right, chewed up the front tires. Wish I would have been more aggressive with repairs as I am now. A new trans and control arms would have fixed the Jimmy. lol. Instead we just got rid of it.

Leasing isn't for everyone. But we do it all the time. Ever leased a high priced apartment?? Yup. We are willing to pay $1200 for a bad ass apartment.......at least once. The apartment is usually about $600-800 after that experience. :D You're right though, the killer is the up front down.

My ex wanted it so I said yes what the hell. Together we were very well off financially. I didn't miss the Jimmy because, sh!t, in 2002 I was making $41/hr, working 48-60/hr a wk, with a $5k bonus every 20 wks on contract. Yeah, the hay-day of the Nursing Shortage(2000-2007). So the Jimmy, the $8500 loss- was not much considering each shift I worked was $492! And overtime was $738 per shift!!!! I was blowing my nose with $20s. lol. Anyway, this is why we leased it. The bonuses are gone, no way am I working 60hr/wk anymore. So, I haven't leased a vehicle since.

-Frank

Most people I see leasing are either business people (tax benefit here) or people that think it's cheaper to lease a car (not the smartest ones) or the third group who likes to change up cars ever 2-3 years and don't care for their car.

Unless you are willing to pay more for a car that should always work with "free" maintenance and "free" exchange of car when it breaks down, I suggest against leasing.

It's like renting a house, you pay for all those years, but when you want to get another house you never see any of that money back.

My old roommate was both the second and third group. He was so bad on his vehicles. He let his old car leak tranny fluid all over our driveway for about 3 months before even getting it looked at, but after he finally got rid of it he leased a new accord. He's the kind of guy that gets into a cold vehicle, starts it up and drives off hard enough to squat the rear end... Makes me cringe, but good news is it's not his car so as long as the engine makes it 3 years he should be in the clear. I told him he's throwing money down the drain for leasing instead of buying (and the difference in payments was like $50.00 a month between owning or leasing), but his response was he see's a car as a "service" like a cell phone, and you pay for the convenience of a vehicle. Sometimes you just can't fix stupid so eventually I bought a home and we parted ways. He will be the kind of guy that leases his entire life and never gets ahead

Archived