ILuvJDM Posted August 25, 2015 Report Posted August 25, 2015 I bought two dual 4ohm subs with plans to wire them together to 1ohm for my amp. I had a brain fart because I realized my prefab box has separate sealed sides, so I couldn't wire them as I planned. Basically I wired both subs in parallel to a 2ohm load, each sub running to its own terminal on each side of the box. I then wired my drivers side sub terminal directly to my amp output and ran a jumper from one terminal to the other. I verified that this made a 1ohm final load on my wires at the amp, but is this okay to do for long term or should I pull the box and redo the wiring? Thanks John
Triticum Agricolam Posted August 25, 2015 Report Posted August 25, 2015 I'm not exactly sure what you did but it doesn't matter if you wire them all in parallel inside the box or do it at the amp. The result is the same and you'll be fine. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
reedal Posted August 25, 2015 Report Posted August 25, 2015 If your amp is a monoblock, that jumper you made is pointless since the amplifiers output is a parallel connection SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
REH Posted August 25, 2015 Report Posted August 25, 2015 If your amp is a monoblock, that jumper you made is pointless since the amplifiers output is a parallel connection He's trying to say that he has one lead from his amp, to one terminal on the box - then a jumper across the box to the other terminal, instead a lead from each to the amp. Will work fine as said before OP.
reedal Posted August 25, 2015 Report Posted August 25, 2015 If your amp is a monoblock, that jumper you made is pointless since the amplifiers output is a parallel connectionHe's trying to say that he has one lead from his amp, to one terminal on the box - then a jumper across the box to the other terminal, instead a lead from each to the amp.Will work fine as said before OP. Oh ok. Didn't catch the part where it was on the enclosure. My bad. SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
ILuvJDM Posted August 25, 2015 Author Report Posted August 25, 2015 Yes, sorry it's a monoblock sundown amp. Basically I used the terminals as an extension of wiring and connected the two subs outside of the box instead of inside Each sub was wired down to 2ohm and so if I hooked both terminals to the amp I would only have a 2 ohm load, right? I'm confused as to what he meant by wiring in parallel at the amp.
ILuvJDM Posted August 25, 2015 Author Report Posted August 25, 2015 Here's a quick illustration. Pink wire is the jumper that's outside the box between terminals
reedal Posted August 26, 2015 Report Posted August 26, 2015 The way you have it is just fine. What I meant is on the amp, there are two positive and two negative speaker terminals correct? That's a parallel connection, meaning that one sub wired to two ohm and another sub wired to two ohm, each wired to a separate terminal on the amp, will be paralleled, making it 1ohm SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.