Sundown Audio

Some general amp questions

Coaxial

It is because I have been out of audio for a few years now, and as I come back to it I am finding I just don't take it as seriously as I did before. Now, it would just be something I sort of play with as a light hobby in between other things I do, more than anything else. I am just not interested in spending a lot or money or getting serious about having the best possible sound I can, like before. I just want good overall sound. Doesn't need to be stellar, just as long as I like what I hear when it plays. Actually, what interests me the most is just seeing how low a budget I could do a small system on and still stay inside of a decent quality sound range.

As I think about answering your question, the thought comes to mind that I would actually more enjoy thinking, and telling friends, that I built a little system for $200-250, with an amp, four speakers, wiring, and all, more than I would thinking I got sound that would beat anything I've had before and used nothing but high quality brands. That's why I asked about these lesser brands.

So I guess I sort of go against the grain. Always before, everyone I knew including myself, bought the best they could afford, went cheap only from lack of funds or did without until they could afford the ultimate needed item on the wish list, and dreamed of better stuff even when they had good enough. That might have been what helped make me lose interest in the past. Sucked the fun right out of it always worrying that choosing the wrong amp or sub would cause some problem, or garner some comment from someone who looked down at that item or brand.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't have any interest in super high end equipment, or really even equipment most people consider just everyday items (that's debatable), but also not the bottom of the barrel either. That's why you don't see me asking about Pyramid, Pyle, or Boss either. I might occasionally ask about something I am unaware is truly awful, but once I see the reality of it, I'll drop it.

This time around, I just want to keep it light and fun. It's not worth taking it terribly seriously, spending a fortune, and stressing over other people's opinion of the gear (when unfounded), possible theft, equipment malfunction from weather exposure or miswiring, or from letting a friend adjust things while monkeying with our stuff sometime and cause damage to high dollar items, and it's definitely not worth worring over the tiniest sound being inconsistent with what it should be so let's spend $2,000 more for processors, time alignment, gold plated speakers, etc, etc. Instead, it should just be about picking what you'd like to have, hooking it up, enjoying the sound, enjoy knowing you did it and had fun doing it, and not caring that it isn't the best in the world. I think we should all just do the best we can on the play money available, and nothing more, and not be audio snobs about it. That's how I see it for me. Just look at my name here, that's a good example. It is Coaxial. I chose that mostly because I started out just looking for new speakers, and I know they'll be coaxials for sure, partly due to cost, partly due to ease of install, partly just because I just really like the appearance of them over components (comps are too plain Jane with no tweeter in the center, very dull and boring). In the past, people have tried to get me to try components for better sound but I've resisted all the way. Coaxials sound fine to me, no matter how much better comps would be. If I ever did try a set, it would likely be just for the experience, or because I found a set that just looked sweet. Sound improvement alone means diddly squat to me on those, lol. They say to get the best from comps, a lot of extra work needs to be done. All that just sounds too much like WORK for me. No interest. That's why I'm a coaxial fan. Keeps it simple and fun.

Well, that's enough about that. Didn't mean to get on a soap box about it. It was just that when I read how you don't understand me wanting to downgrade, it reminded me of back when I first got into audio and everyone had opinions on what was acceptible and what isn't, even to the point of not liking a person over their audio gear choices. That's always been the one thing I disliked about this activity. Seems to be a constant competition to one up each other and then be a snob about it. I'm not saying you did that, so please don't take me wrong. I just had to explain it that way to describe how I think on it, that's all. So I'll just make it clear, I'm into audio to just casually play, dabble, have fun, and when it gets serious, or I get flamed for certain questions, comments, or gear suggestions to others who ask, I'll just be done with it all over again. At this stage of my life, I just think the whole hobby is not something to be taken too seriously, no more so than playing video games at home, and that's a whole 'nother field that people are way too serious about also. Honestly, with the above tangent I have just been on, I am already way more serious in it than I even wanted to be. So this will be the only time you see me make comments of this nature, and now I'm done. Promise it won't happen again. :) Still friends? :D

By the way, I did look at the Prime amps. Controls on top coupled with amp mount below my seat ruled them out for me. Couldn't reach them to adjust without seat removal or possibly sliding seat forward, if it is mounted so that would provide enough access. I'd rather just pick an amp with controls on the end.

Cool, finally someone who writes more than I do. :D The amps you mentioned, yeah stay away from them. You're right about audio snobs, but I see it as brand loyalty. Same difference. I'm that way about JL Audio, only because of their prices. I have heard their stuff, very clean sounding but the price keeps me away and I roll my eyes when swear by them.

If your budget is $250, I'd go on Ebay and purchase used items, that are legit brands.

-Frank

Its not that i was trying to put anything down but the way i see it is if you are gonna buy something that you plan on using for years to come get something thats gonna last and wont shit out in 6 months or right out the box. Ive tried lower priced brands. They are low priced for a reason. Overinflated ratings with cheap internals that dont last. I just dont wanna see anyone get ripped off like that cuz i know how it feels. If rockford is a no go try kicker. They have a 200.4 for like 80 bucks refurbished. Or pioneer or kenwood have some decent looking 4 channels. I dont know if size is a constraint but if it is kenwood has a mini 4 channel that was dynoed on here and did good numbers.

Brand Loyalty being said, I would suggest these. Eclipse Point Source Coaxial speakers. They have much better crossovers than your typical on board resistor/ bass blockers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eclipse-Point-Source-8961-6-5-Inch-Car-Speakers-Old-School-High-Quality-/271969051564?hash=item3f529e63ac

I have the SC8264 component set. I know I know, you do not like component sets.

For a 4 channel, I saw a mint Rockford Fosgate 600a4 for$80 at a pawn shop last week. MInt, but no end caps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-600a4-Car-Amplifier-/121740779308?hash=item1c5850df2c

Buy USED, Ebay, Pawn shop, or CL, but by quality like you used to have!

Every system I have built since 2014 has been purchased from Ebay and pawn shops. It takes time, but for your $250 budget it can be done.

-Frank

There is a great deal on a couple Memphis audio 4 channels in the for sale section.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Its not that i was trying to put anything down but the way i see it is if you are gonna buy something that you plan on using for years to come get something thats gonna last and wont shit out in 6 months or right out the box. Ive tried lower priced brands. They are low priced for a reason. Overinflated ratings with cheap internals that dont last. I just dont wanna see anyone get ripped off like that cuz i know how it feels. If rockford is a no go try kicker. They have a 200.4 for like 80 bucks refurbished. Or pioneer or kenwood have some decent looking 4 channels. I dont know if size is a constraint but if it is kenwood has a mini 4 channel that was dynoed on here and did good numbers.

Yeah, I saw those mini amps. I'm very curious about them. That is something new to me, I don't recall seeing them before. I was wondering about those, can they really be all that? Seem too small to have enough "guts" to amplify in a good way, with enougn step up stages. Are they class A/B or D?

Don't thank me, thank bigdwiz for using his own time and money to make the vids for the rest of us.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived