Setting a good/bad example?

So what's so great about working a 9-5 schedule just for the sake of having a "normal" schedule? I haven't worked a regular schedule in nearly 20 years.

I know plenty of people that do just fine or are at least happy working for themselves or having flexible schedules. Plenty of opportunities out there if you know a useful skill or market yourself right. I even know union guys that only take short jobs on the road, work 80 hour weeks for a month, then just goof off or enjoy their families until they need money again. When I was in commission sales I knew plenty of guys that took an entire month off for hunting season, or only worked 3-4 days a week.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I can assure you, if your goal is to work when you like there's loads of options, tell him if making his own schedule is important to him he can make that happen if he plans for it.

My wife is a Nurse and I saw how hard it was for her to get where she is now. It takes dedication to get where you are. I wouldn't even think a second about degrading your work for what it is because you happen to have a step-son that you can't spoon feed every opportunity out there. Nursing takes a major toll on your mental and physical status. The reality of the situation is, if he wants a job that can do that, he has to go get it... It's not going to just slap him in the face. I have friend that is becoming more and more distant the older we get that has that mentality. He goes job to job and hangs out with people that just bring him down rather than the ones that want to bring him up. He also likes to blame everyone else for his situations rather than take some damn responsibility. All I hear every time I talk to him now is how he's going to get a grant to become an engineer and make 200k a year but doesn't lift a damn finger to actually go do it or get the ball rolling.

Archived