Setting a good/bad example?

So, as some of you may know from what I have posted in the past year, I work when I want. I'm in decent financial standing and I am proud of that. I worked my f**king ass off for what I have and I'm finally enjoying the fruits of my labor. I've been a Nurse for almost 20 yrs now!

Now the down side, since Lisa's kids are young adults, the look up to me. Devin is well on her way to becoming a Nurse. Currently taking courses to set herself up for a CNA position once she finishes H.S. It's a start. Now Lisa's son is a different matter. He recently commented "I want a job where I make his own schedule and work when I want like Frank". Well, this comment did not sit well with Lisa and we talked about it. I'm supposed to set a good example for the kids so my lifestyle maybe influencing her son in a negative way.

I do not want to get a full time job. I'm at the point of Nurse-Burn-Out. I like knowing that a week has 7 days, and I just need to work 3 of them. I feel bad that my free-lance work may have negative impact on Lisa's son. He did not see the hard work that went into what I can do now. He only sees "NOW".

Is the solution to work full time? I do work 36 hrs a wk. Just not with an mandatory obligation to any hospital. I LOVE this flexibility.

Think about your actions and how they may influence others. I feel I have an obligation to Lisa's kids. So I sort of feel bad! We need to teach "Obligations come first". Christian has no obligation to work. He works with his friend sporadically when he needs $$$..... like me.

Any "constructive comments" would be greatly appreciated.

How old is he? I'd suggest sitting him down and explaining the work it took to get where you are. Tell him to look around and see that it's not easy to get a position where you are, to look at how many other people have that job. Explain that to get a job where you work when you want, you have to be highly skilled, and to have a particular skillset that you have perfected and is useful to society. Explain that he will essentially be on his own if he goes that route, so he needs to know a significant amount about what he's doing. Ask him what sort of field he plans on. Because you have to have a path defined, IMO, to get where you are now. Some people are lucky and stumble into it, but it's not common.

Maybe bring him along with you a couple times. Wow him with knowledge, so that he realizes how much you know and how important that is.

Edit: In any event, I do not think you need to change your lifestyle for him. He's already got it in his head, and can see other people doing it as well. You getting a daily job isn't the way to convince him. You need to show him what I explained before. This is just IMO.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

this isn't a YOU issue this is a mother and son issue. She needs to stop enabling him to be a lazy ass by entertaining his bs. You did not wake up one day with the ability to do what you do, how is it that mom didn't crawl up his ass explaining that. It's called hard work and responsibility son, you need to develop it. She failed with that opportunity which leads me to believe that she's a little jealous of how you roll. Obviously your setting a good example as the Hs girl seems pretty squared away. So fuck that shit, you need to have a coming to Jesus talk with the wife and kid. Cause there is no way you should be punished for the bs they are trying to pull on you. They have no right to pick certain aspects of your life and try and manipulate them to further their cause.motherfucker, get a job, put in the work and then reap the rewards, you dont he to go straight to the good life without putting in the time! Who the fuck does this kid think he is? The answer is whoever mom allows him to be and at this point it time it sounds like the lazy ass that feels entitled to something for nothing. F that shit

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

Rolex never fails.. Well said

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

i'm a stay at home dad, you think I want my kid to be a stay at home dad when he has kids? hell yeah I would. if you can't be rich, marry rich. yeah you can say i'm a gold digger. so what. in the last 15 years of me working, I've 12 of those 15 years making a 6 figure income. my house is paid for, my cars are paid for. could I go back to working making good money and getting a bunch of nice "stuff", sure but to me it's more important to be a real part of my son's life. I work part time to occupy some time and make a few dollars as an installer but I have a very flexible schedule. if my son grows up and knows how to get his hustle on to achieve his goals but ends up having a very successful wife that allows him to be a stay at home dad, I'd be very proud.

I coach high school wrestling and I tell all of my kids that decide to go to a 4 year university that they should decide what they want out of their job b/c if you have the things you want out of your job than the job doesn't matter. the #1 and #2 reason why people voluntarily leave careers (not jobs) is because of they are not challenged in their role and because the feel their role is worthless. it has little to nothing to do with money when it comes to careers. if being a millionaire is a priority than you'll do whatever it takes to get their even if that means not spending time with friends or kids if you have them. same thing if making your own schedule is your top priority, you'll pick up shit if you can make decent money but you can work on the times you decided. I was a vendor rep and merchandiser working 4 and 5 jobs at a time but I could get all my work done in 2-3 days while still making $2k a week. my goal was to have my house paid off before I turned 35, well I did it by 32.

it's not about the career he chooses, it's about understanding and attaining the qualities it takes.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you fasfocus.

While what you described was the basis for the wortk ethic of EARLY GenX'ers and prior it is no the mind set of Mid GenX'es moving forward and especially that of the Millennials and forward. Society has become a world of instant gratification and reward. No longer is the reward for a job well done having done it. Now it's show me the money or what do I get out of the deal. People now a days can not comprehend what self worth or job satisfaction is. They measure success in a whole new light as demonstrated so well by Nutz' step son. The world has been coddled by mommas tit to the point of pussification. It's ok little johnny, here's a participation ribbon.

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

sounds like he needs a good dose of reality. he'll learn real quick how to bust ass day in and day out once he gets some bills stacked up on him.

fuck em, let em keep being a little titbag, make him get a job or get the fuck out. He'll learn REAL quick that busting ass for 40 a week and living with mommy and daddy is a shit load easier than trying to make it on his own at 18 or 19 or whatever.

side note, won't lie to ya. I am not working right now. I came to a point in my job that I felt I was no more use to the company and that I did not want to pursue that career anymore, so I left. And yes I am still living at home. BUT I have a nice rainy day fund accumulated to take care of my truck payment, insurance, phone payment, and to help my parents out with bills. Atleast until I can start school back and get a bullshit job to cover the truck payment at minimum.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Show him your pay check and then tell him when you work up to making this much per hour that's when you can sit back and relax and set your own schedule.

We have a friend who does nursing and she only works weekends so she is home with her kids during the week.

some have made rude comments to her about only working weekends, her reply is I make more in those two days than lots of people make in a month.

$40 an hour will do that for you I guess.

I think your example to him should be that at his age you word your assistance of and went to School to get to where you can do what you like today.

Long story short tell him to quit being a lazy bitch.

You wanna make him work harder, push him off a cliff and tell him he's got 1 year to move out on his own or he's homelesss.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived