Battery Questions From Newbie....

With my recent upgrades, I also want to replace my underhood/starting battery. 2003 Pt Cruiser with all stock electrical, 995 watts rms - Hifonics, total system power, not an SPL or competition car.

This is what I get from the kinetik site:

Step 1. Replace your existing starting battery with a Kinetik HC1400 Power Cell or larger for best fit in your exisiting battery holder.

Step 2. Install the following Kinetik HC Power Cells near your amplifier installation:

MODEL QTY

HC1400 1

Question is "why step 2?" Are they suggesting that I add a second battery? I don't need 2 batterys to run a 995 watt rms setup.

So would one Kinetik HC1400 be ideal for my starting battery and not overwork a factory 120 amp alternator?

Is Kinetik to much battery for me compared to Optima red top, Exide Orbital? I can get the Kinetic HC1400 for $159.00

What would everyone recommend for a starting battery that can handle the added watts, and keep my factory alternator happy?

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Guest MegaloManiac

just replace your battery upfront, you are not running enough power to need a 2nd battery.

and I believe the steps on Kinetik site are like if you get a big stronger system its the "next step into stepping up your electrical" so you only need step 1 for now.

PT, though not terribly necessary, a second battery can still help. You would be surprised to see how quickly that 120 amp alt maxes out....remember only about half of that is available to you when you're running your car accessories.

Guest MegaloManiac
PT, though not terribly necessary, a second battery can still help. You would be surprised to see how quickly that 120 amp alt maxes out....remember only about half of that is available to you when you're running your car accessories.

adding a 2nd battery would just add another load on the stock alternator

Measure and see if you can fit the 1800, if so then you will be fine, if you are still worried you can take your alt off and have a local shop upgrade it to a 180 - 200 amp for cheap or get a HO alt. A second battery is going to be overkill unless you like to pound on it a lot when you are sitting letting your engine just Idle, you can also look into a smaller alt pulley so that you will be at max charge just above idle speed. Lots of options cheaper than installing a second battery.

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

Its always best to parralell two of the exact same batteries of the exact same age. Even though lots of people usually just will keep the stock battery and then upgrade one in the rear. Im running a kinetik 1800 under the hood and a 1800 in the rear and it works awsome!

Team Sundown

3 15" Sundown Nightshades

1 RD HW D9 amp

10.5 cubes tuned 30hz

Measure and see if you can fit the 1800, if so then you will be fine, if you are still worried you can take your alt off and have a local shop upgrade it to a 180 - 200 amp for cheap or get a HO alt. A second battery is going to be overkill unless you like to pound on it a lot when you are sitting letting your engine just Idle, you can also look into a smaller alt pulley so that you will be at max charge just above idle speed. Lots of options cheaper than installing a second battery.

I can fit the 1800, but isn't it overkill, wouldn't the 1400 be ok if I don't plan to add more amps in the future? This will be a one battery setup.

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

If you're going kinetik go with the 1800. Although it might be overkill but you'll benefit for that extra power.

Member since 25 Jun 2006

2011 Yukon DenaliCustomLightz 4300K HID RetrofitEsky TailsEsky Third BrakeEsky 22sEsky Appliques

I can fit the 1800, but isn't it overkill, wouldn't the 1400 be ok if I don't plan to add more amps in the future? This will be a one battery setup.

Your stock alt load will be fine the second battery is up to you but always helps for sure.Only thing I see is they won't see a full charge due to the cars computer which controls your alts regulator for output. Your car (newer) gives a 13.8volt control to your alt even if upgraded to a bigger alt your car sends the same signal.

Edit : for a little more I would get the 1800 more storage compacity

Edited by missinglink

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Your stock alt load will be fine the second battery is up to you but always helps for sure.Only thing I see is they won't see a full charge due to the cars computer which controls your alts regulator for output. Your car (newer) gives a 13.8volt control to your alt even if upgraded to a bigger alt your car sends the same signal.

Edit : for a little more I would get the 1800 more storage compacity

Thanks missinglink, I have read that PTs have the voltage regulated by the PCM, and have never seen one with more than 1500 watts, so I don't know what people do about going high output. I won't need that much power in mine.

As long as the 1800 won't work my alternator to death, I'll go with that, it seems to be only about an extra $20 over the 1400.

If I am keeping my stock cables and don't have larger wire skills :blink: , can I get some of those nice polished battery connectors and have a local stereo shop install them onto the factory cables?? I want some that have the factory wire into them and a seperate 4 gauge power connection for the stereo, and some polished battery posts, too :P .

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG