Alt whine!

try take the headunit out the car and run pwr and ground straight from the battery to the headunit. seems that model amp always has noise issues too

So I took out my other amp, wires and all, disconnected everything not OE and hooked up my little mtx amp (exhibiting same problem but it's 1/5 the size and already cosmetically kicked around) directly to the battery, set it outside the car on a table. I also tied my spare head unit power into the amp connections (on the amp) and used the remote from the HU for trigger. Set 2 speakers next to the amp and head unit on the table and hooked them up. Ran rca cables as far away from the car as possible and then started the engine. No whine. Next I tossed the 17ft loop of rca cable into the trunk, no whine, ran them as far into the passenger compartment as possiblepossible, no whine, laid them directly on the 2ga wire running from my alternator to bat (+) and this usually will yeald tons of whine... No whine! Next I ran my rca cables to my primary head unit (sitting on shifter in front of dash and boom... Whine! My next step is to yank my full time head unit and wire it straight to the battery and see what I get.

then given your most recent troubleshooting, I'd say it's your head unit. Do any the preouts seem loose at all? Don't try to force them, but a slight touch followed by a wiggle could be an issue

OK, pulled my head unit and hooked it up out at the battery and amp on the table, no whine, tossed the rca cables into the car and no whine, (I laid them parallel to the alternator charge cable for about a foot and got a tiny, nearly insignificant whine) looped them as far into the front as possible and no whine, but then routed them as best I could over my installed rout and found a spot that induced whine, I believe it's where the fuel pump wires go through the floor to the pump. I'm heading out in a minute to put the head unit back in the dash as I now know of a rout that I can run them that doesnt induce and whine with the head unit in the trunk, if I get whine with it in the dash I know where to start focusing on.

20151010_123744.jpg20151010_123716.jpg enen laying like this along the alternator charge wire (in the black loom) did not induce any whine.20151010_123708.jpg

Hooked head unit back up to the front, previously I had it wired directly to the battery and had the whine so I figured I would hook it back up to the plug-n-play Metra harness and run the factory ground/power. I have the noise back. Grounded to metal bracket behing head unit and still whining, installed a PACCSS12 to the ignition wire and still noise, switched it over to the power wire and still noise. I know my rca wires in the path to the back are not picking up any noise because when I had the head unit in the back I ran it the same rout (see pic with cables looped over arm rest) and did not get any whine at all. The head unit MUST be receiving EMI/RFI from something in the dash (my passive crossovers were also in the same area and were picking up a ton of EMI/RFI so I need to re-locate them but this just helps to prove my theory.

SO, how in the hell do I shield my head unit? would grounding the chassis form a shield? If so would I use this screw hole to do it? Is that what that hole is meant for? (most head units have it always wondered what it was fore)

20151010_143112.jpg

Archived