fergie Posted September 24, 2015 Report Posted September 24, 2015 I am building an enclosure with 2 subwoofers for my 01 F150 ext cab to go under the rear seat. I have always built and had sealed boxes mainly because of ease of building and size restraints. The goal is to get the most efficient setup I can with the size I have to work with. I have 2 subwoofers for the enclosure. I have roughly .5 cu ft per subwoofer to work with. Would I be better off going sealed or is it possible with this amount of volume to go ported? I have used a calculator/program and found that a ported box with .55 cu ft and a 4" x 44" port would work, but I don't think I can fit an almost 4ft tube in the box!! Anyways, here are the specs Elemental Designs SQ10 Qts: .29Qes: .32Qms: 2.7Fs: 25.50Hz Re: 3.5 Vas: 46.7L Mms: 110.0gBl: 15.10T*m SPL: 86.7dBSd: 350cm² Xmax: 9.3mm Voice Coil: 62.5mmMagnet Width: 2.700"Cutout Diameter: 9.125"Mounting Depth: 3.000"Weight: 7lbTotal Height: 3.400"Displacement: .03 ft³ Outside Diameter: 10.250"
Triticum Agricolam Posted September 24, 2015 Report Posted September 24, 2015 While those subs would work very well ported, you don't have anywhere near enough room. A ported box with .55 cf isn't enough for those subs, IMHO. I'd use at least .75 cf and 1 cf each would be better. Then you have to factor in the space the port takes up. Looks like you are going to have to stick with a sealed box unless you can come up with significantly more room somehow. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
fergie Posted September 25, 2015 Author Report Posted September 25, 2015 Ok, I was thinking it would be a bit small for ported with all the reading I have been doing. But I am still very new at this, especially porting. I have been playing with some calculators and it's strange to me how a smaller diameter port requires shorter length than a larger port. Is it possible that one of these subwoofers in a ported box would outperform two of them within the constraints that I have to work with? I am awaiting the woofers right now, so I'm pretty excited and anxious about getting them going. I'm trying to educate myself so I'm not building 5 enclosures for it. haha
mcfalcon Posted September 25, 2015 Report Posted September 25, 2015 You could do 2 4" aero ports but .55 is way to small for ported. If you do get the box and port right yes 1 sub could sound better than 2 sealed. Oh and welcome. That guy triticum that commented is legit. Might be wise to take any advice he gives. Still learning but have started gathering.
everybodyknowme Posted September 25, 2015 Report Posted September 25, 2015 I agree space is too small for 2 woofers ported but like he said 1 woofer in a proper ported box could sound better than 2 sealed
mcfalcon Posted September 25, 2015 Report Posted September 25, 2015 You could also consider raising your seat a 2-3 inches. Do the math and see what that will offer for space. Still learning but have started gathering.
fergie Posted September 25, 2015 Author Report Posted September 25, 2015 Wow, you guys work fast!! I will take all the advice I can get! I am probably going to build a sealed enclosure for now and maybe play with making a ported one down the line at some point. I haven't measured anything out yet, but going off of pre-fabed boxes for my truck it looks like I have the capabilities to get to about 1 cu ft if I went with 1 woofer. Does it make a big difference with ported boxes for the shape? Mainly since this is going to be long and thin.
fergie Posted September 25, 2015 Author Report Posted September 25, 2015 You could also consider raising your seat a 2-3 inches. Do the math and see what that will offer for space. I have thought about this and seen it done. But I haven't really looked into doing it, it looks like it can be quite a bit of work.
mcfalcon Posted September 25, 2015 Report Posted September 25, 2015 Depends. I'm doing my gmc soon. I gonna get some square tubing and longer bolts. That's my theory anyways lol. Still learning but have started gathering.
fergie Posted September 25, 2015 Author Report Posted September 25, 2015 Depends. I'm doing my gmc soon. I gonna get some square tubing and longer bolts. That's my theory anyways lol. haha, best of luck to you! I will have to investigate raising the seat a little bit...... I had originally thought about finding a passenger side bucket seat and building a center console setup, but I don't know how long I am keeping this vehicle so I don't want to put too much work into it.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.