Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Help choosing enclosure type (ported or sealed)


fergie

Recommended Posts

Posted

....

Is it possible that one of these subwoofers in a ported box would outperform two of them within the constraints that I have to work with?

...

A single ported sub is going to sound different than two sealed. It's not as simple as "which one will perform better". On lower notes, close to the ported boxes tuning frequency, the port sub will be significantly louder than two sealed subs. However, as you rise in frequency, away from the ported box's tuning, the two sealed boxes will catch up and surpass what the single ported sub can do. What this is going to result in is the sealed subs frequency response will be flatter, whereas the ported sub's frequency response will most likely be rising on the low end, just how much rise there is will depend on the specs for the box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

you can get 3 cuft just need to raise back seat a few inches i did in a 05 F150 i got 3 cuft 4 soundqubed eights 4 inch port tuned to 40hz on a soundqubed 4500

Posted

1 sub ported?

Yes, unless I am able to raise the rear seat I don't have enough room to build a ported box for 2 woofers, but if I stay sealed then I can use both. I would hate to use only one of them, I mean then I feel it would just be lonely without his friend. haha

Posted

....

Is it possible that one of these subwoofers in a ported box would outperform two of them within the constraints that I have to work with?

...

A single ported sub is going to sound different than two sealed. It's not as simple as "which one will perform better". On lower notes, close to the ported boxes tuning frequency, the port sub will be significantly louder than two sealed subs. However, as you rise in frequency, away from the ported box's tuning, the two sealed boxes will catch up and surpass what the single ported sub can do. What this is going to result in is the sealed subs frequency response will be flatter, whereas the ported sub's frequency response will most likely be rising on the low end, just how much rise there is will depend on the specs for the box.

I see what your saying, this sounds like it could turn into a fun little project! My wife probably won't be happy about the new hobby... I will probably start experimenting next spring, winter is no fun in Iowa in a garage with no heat. burr

Posted

you can get 3 cuft just need to raise back seat a few inches i did in a 05 F150 i got 3 cuft 4 soundqubed eights 4 inch port tuned to 40hz on a soundqubed 4500

I bet that sounds great!! Is that forward or up firing? I am probably going to down firing, but I can see how you can get a little more out of either one of those. I think the 00-03 is a little shallower for the forward and aft dimensions than the 04-08.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3074 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...