Second Skin Audio

can someone explain

brian222

Can anyone answer a question for me... I was on a website (http://www.mh-audio.nl/reflexboxcalculator.asp) that has a calculator for designing a bass reflex box and I noticed that in the "calculated performance specifications" area where the calculator computes the values such as box vol and tuning freq and f3 there was a "peak level" value given also, measured in "peak db" I have not seen this on other ported box calculators before and I was wondering if you could explain what peak level means...is it similar to gain in a 4th order setup or qtc in sealed boxes ...ive noticed high qts subs put into a smaller than recommended vented box will give a higher peak db but is there a margin I should stay within bcuz im sure too small of a box wouldnt be good so if u could shed alil light on the matter I would greatly appreciate it bcuz like I said all I can gather is there will be a "bump in output" but with this you will loose some of the low end...am I on the right track atleast and if so like I said is there a limit to keep in mind in regards to the peak lvl before you start risking damage to the sub. ..thanks in advance!

It should be SPLpeak, a text book formula to get theoretical maximum output over baseline for the chosen alignment, due to car cabin effects, that number will likely mean noting just like theoretical f3 means nothing inside a vehicle. That calculator is actually useless for car audio applications due to cabin effects I would recommend to use better software, winISD software with a simple fix can give you some idea of what you are getting.

I think it refers to the peak dB frequency. Meaning it will play (an example) at "117dB" given "X" power. But it's not the lower end of the frequency it's usually the higher 60 Hz end. That frequency will be at 117db, the lower end 40hz and under zone will be say (an example) 90dB peak as the arch on the graph moves to the left. Smaller boxes will yield higher dB but at the cost of decreased low end performance. Yes you are on the right track. You;re going to have to decide what you want.

(A) low end with a lower peak output in the higher notes, or (B) no low end with a generous peak in the higher 60Hz notes.

-Frank

Archived