Radio going out?

On the way back from St Louis the radio in the car was acting up. The sound would go from all 4 speakers to just the back, then shift up front and even went from one side to the other. The system is completely stock, not my car so I have no control over that. I have come up with 3 possible reasons why this is happening. One being that the radio is going south, two that speakers are going bad or three, there is a loose connection somewhere. I'd like to know what it is cause it is annoying, specially on a 3 hour drive. Thanks for any help.

Well, take your three steps and apply them in the reverse order in which you listed. That would be my route.

Check ALL connections (at speakers and radio, amplifier if it is factory amplified) for loose or frayed ends

Use a DMM to check the impedance of each speaker

If all else shows nothing, buy new speakers and a new head unit, because everyone loves upgraded speakers ;)

Well, take your three steps and apply them in the reverse order in which you listed. That would be my route.

Check ALL connections (at speakers and radio, amplifier if it is factory amplified) for loose or frayed ends

Use a DMM to check the impedance of each speaker

If all else shows nothing, buy new speakers and a new head unit, because everyone loves upgraded speakers ;)

Next day it's not raining I'll try do all that. Only thing I wont do is get a new head unit and speakers, the owner really doesn't care bout that stuff.

Archived