Second Skin Audio

Do you realize that these results will only be applicable to an extended cab ford? And only the specific box size you are testing? Changing any variable will change the outcome.

The results will only be useful for someone using the same vehicle, size of box, size of speaker and number of speakers you use.

Regardless, it's cool to experiment and you will learn from it. It just sounds like you are trying to pinpoint some hard and fast rules that will be applicable for many people and many situations. Every vehicle's acoustics are different, and the size of the box in that vehicle will also change the acoustics.

Thanks for the feedback. Re-read my post though, mainly the top, where I say:

The truck in mind here is the ford extended cab, which is the same for many years(if someone can be more specific, feel free to chime in). These same boxes could obviously be used in other trucks, along with cars.

this experiment is mainly for ME, but I thought I may share my findings. And if someone in the KC area wants to use these same boxes in there trunk, truck cabin, etc. It will give them a GENERAL idea. Lol, so it will be a slightly biased experiment, yes. However, it should give many, including me, a place to start.

The things I have come up with that will slightly flaw this experiment is:

different loading(I will be putting hardwood behind my seat, for the port to hit, to test that, as well at matting....but testing it on the meter before and after)

obviously different vehicles as well as seat position, etc. (but I will later test it in other vehicles and start a different thread for those specific make and models).

Different regions (elevation, ambient temp, etc)

The list is, I'm sure, much larger but I see those making the most difference.

My truck, however, will most likely be the most thoroughly tested, hence the Title.

and I WILL be getting a TL meter this week, as long as shipping agrees with that.

Thanks again,

Troy

Early 1999 F-250 Powerstroke , Extended Cab

Current Audio Future plans

5 Cu Ft, shared chamber, 28hz

(2) Sundown x-10 D2 V2

AQ1-2200.1 @ .5ohms Mechman 240 AMP Alt

2 Batteries stock + (1)XS Power D3400

Kenwood Head Unit

Looks interesting, I'll take a look at your Sketchup files when I get back to my computer.

Do you have any way of measuring differences in output other than the ear-o-meter?

Have you had a chance to look over the ports yet? I will most likely be going tomorrow to get and cut the wood

Thank you,,

Troy

(2) Sundown x-10 D2 V2

Kenwood Head Unit

Update: went ahead and ordered the TL Magnum with one sensor!

(2) Sundown x-10 D2 V2

Kenwood Head Unit

Do you realize that these results will only be applicable to an extended cab ford? And only the specific box size you are testing? Changing any variable will change the outcome.

The results will only be useful for someone using the same vehicle, size of box, size of speaker and number of speakers you use.

Regardless, it's cool to experiment and you will learn from it. It just sounds like you are trying to pinpoint some hard and fast rules that will be applicable for many people and many situations. Every vehicle's acoustics are different, and the size of the box in that vehicle will also change the acoustics.

Thanks for the feedback. Re-read my post though, mainly the top, where I say:

The truck in mind here is the ford extended cab, which is the same for many years(if someone can be more specific, feel free to chime in). These same boxes could obviously be used in other trucks, along with cars.

this experiment is mainly for ME, but I thought I may share my findings. And if someone in the KC area wants to use these same boxes in there trunk, truck cabin, etc. It will give them a GENERAL idea. Lol, so it will be a slightly biased experiment, yes. However, it should give many, including me, a place to start.

The things I have come up with that will slightly flaw this experiment is:

different loading(I will be putting hardwood behind my seat, for the port to hit, to test that, as well at matting....but testing it on the meter before and after)

obviously different vehicles as well as seat position, etc. (but I will later test it in other vehicles and start a different thread for those specific make and models).

Different regions (elevation, ambient temp, etc)

The list is, I'm sure, much larger but I see those making the most difference.

My truck, however, will most likely be the most thoroughly tested, hence the Title.

and I WILL be getting a TL meter this week, as long as shipping agrees with that.

Thanks again,

Troy

Yep. I read that. I have excellent reading comprehension. No one can be more specific because every vehicle is different, and the results for your ford will be of no use to anyone but a ford extended cab truck owner. You're only answering the question of port placement for your truck and your box.

It sure sounds like you're trying to answer the question of port placement for every vehicle and every box. You're not.

I can tell you subs up port back seems to work best for those filling the cargo area of an suv. That is specific to suv's and boxes that take up the entire cargo area up to the window line. A smaller box or different vehicle will have different results. Other than that people pretty much need to experiment with their particular vehicle and box like you are doing.

Then there's the question of what you're trying to accomplish with port placement. Highest number on a meter? Most painful in the hot seat? Sounds best for the driver? Has the best sound quality? All of those will be different.

I know I'm being redundant, but your results will only really be applicable to your specific situation.

Yep. I read that. I have excellent reading comprehension. No one can be more specific because every vehicle is different, and the results for your ford will be of no use to anyone but a ford extended cab truck owner. You're only answering the question of port placement for your truck and your box.

It sure sounds like you're trying to answer the question of port placement for every vehicle and every box. You're not.

I can tell you subs up port back seems to work best for those filling the cargo area of an suv. That is specific to suv's and boxes that take up the entire cargo area up to the window line. A smaller box or different vehicle will have different results. Other than that people pretty much need to experiment with their particular vehicle and box like you are doing.

Then there's the question of what you're trying to accomplish with port placement. Highest number on a meter? Most painful in the hot seat? Sounds best for the driver? Has the best sound quality? All of those will be different.

I know I'm being redundant, but your results will only really be applicable to your specific situation.

I know. Like I said this info is mainly for ME, but will be the same results for other ford ext cab owners, which is why it will be shared...and I plan on documenting all of those(SQ, SPL, where it sounds best, etc) and will be metered in both seats, windshield, etc. And I am not going to state "this is best for all ext cab trucks". Once again, it will be tested in other vehicles down the road...and the boxes I designed will be similar to common boxes, its not perfect, but a place to start.

Who knows, maybe someone will use my box as a template <_<

(2) Sundown x-10 D2 V2

Kenwood Head Unit

Looks interesting, I'll take a look at your Sketchup files when I get back to my computer.

Do you have any way of measuring differences in output other than the ear-o-meter?

Have you had a chance to look over the ports yet? I will most likely be going tomorrow to get and cut the wood

Thank you,,

Troy

I looked at your SketchUp models. I would be sure to add 45 in the corners of the ports to help with airflow. I'd also verify the tuning of both boxes in and outside the vehicle just to make sure they are actually tuned close to the same. Differences in port implementation can result in tuning being a bit off from what was intended.

If you need to know an easy way to check tuning just let me know.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Easiest way I know is use test tones and see where the cone moves the least?

(2) Sundown x-10 D2 V2

Kenwood Head Unit

Easiest way I know is use test tones and see where the cone moves the least?

Yup, that's the way.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Yea it is true, the output is going to be mainly coming from the port at tuning frequency(hz)

(2) Sundown x-10 D2 V2

Kenwood Head Unit

Archived