Alright guys, got an update! I know it's been a few days, but we had some family issues and a specific somebody isn't with us anymore. But onto the pictures and details!

So, what happened first was my 1/2 way big 3 upgrade. I found a good amount of 2/0 battery cable in the garage and some ring terminals and decided to put them to use. I only got to the ground/negative wires cause I need to figure out what wire is what on the alt. Heres some pics.

ACB3D7A1-BB32-4710-BED8-FA9D8FF13A20_zps

645166C6-0666-4574-852D-28C7E825FDCA_zps

This goes from engine block to battery negative. The next one goes from battery negative to chassis.

1EF26FBE-CE5C-4CE4-AE31-5A98AEDB52A5_zps

233C2185-7847-45D4-9B86-DCFC64F605F0_zps

Don't make fun of my Wally World battery, Im getting a new one soon. Maybe a yellow top or blue top.

503C848B-CBBA-419F-85F3-1FF423E36E70_zps

Heres a size comparison between old and new. Thats just your standard everyday No.2 pencil there. Overall im extremely happy with the way these ones turned out. Ill post more on this specific project once I get time to figure out the wiring for the positives.

Got a second update! I finally installed the Rockford 250a2! The amp kit actually surprised me at hot good the quality was. The power/ground wire was less than 1/10th of a mm away form being exact according to my scale, but it was good enough. The RCA's seemed to be of equal quality as my Truconnex amp kit, so i was happy there. The speaker wire was nothing short of disappointing. I threw it away. Heres some pictures of the wires and then the install.

3ba83f27-0c64-4f09-ac4b-2a555680f30c_zps

Heres the scale I used. It's from https://www.tedpella.com/company_html/wire-gauge-vs-dia.htm .

3ACA8C7D-364E-4EFA-A1FB-DADDA9A34B6D_zps

0379b12f-d6ab-4331-be67-118328d1ed3b_zps

E1CA97B4-BD75-4767-9660-F1D09DCB2CFC_zps

85C5E83D-F7BF-402B-9336-AFD5DD4CF03F_zps

I figured, rather than battle corrosion for the rest of my days, why not wire the amps from the PDC? It's just like being directly on the battery, just without the acid.

FF51623B-79B9-494F-95F1-BDD17B0B120A_zps

About halfway ran here, you can imagine the rest.

This is where the fun began. I got to take apart the dash just to get the RCA's plugged in. Probably my least favorite thing to do. But I'm pretty good at it.

382478D9-28F0-4FF6-9CA6-BA85F70A41C3_zps

Dash bezel is off, next comes the radio and then the gauges.

445D53E9-DD11-4062-952C-A727CC949BD7_zps

8FEF078D-142F-4E0E-8E27-7756E430A0C6_zps

Theres a big gap in here, but I got the dash put back together, and the wires ran back to the amp and got them all hooked up.

FBDB15C7-3DC9-4EFA-840F-20C40C0B6F12_zps

RCA's worked perfectly, but I'm going to keep the little harness I made underneath the amp just incase something goes wrong. Here's a couple more shots of the new amp, and then the finish product of both.

461B9A4F-768D-4C71-8D68-C0A301C2A0DF_zps

EFBFC102-3946-47E1-B3A2-5210C1954939_zps

CE9AF6C1-1291-48B9-B86D-64F239EFA91B_zps

I fine tuned the sound of the new one, changed the settings on the head unit and the sub amp, and I'm really happy with the way these kickers sound now. It's amazing just how much head unit power holds back the potential of speakers. I cleaned off all the dust and hid most of the wires from the fan relay on the other amp. Very happy with the install even though it's only my 4th one. Next on the agenda is the rest of the big 3 (more like big 5) and then find something else to do with it. Hopefully soon I can rebuild the sub box slightly larger, or maybe even port it. Might need some insight on that. Thanks for checkin it out!

• 3 weeks later...

At a loss of what I can do next. I've played with the settings on both the amps and h/u and got the front speakers balanced with the sub. I figured that since I couldn't hear the rear speakers anymore, why not use the "rear bass enhancer" on the h/u. Can't really tell if there's a difference. If I can't find anything to do, I'm gonna have to put the tunes on hold and focus on finishing some fab work and fixing driveline issues. Any suggestions??

You got it playing how you want it. Now do jeep stuff lol

I've been doing little mods here and there, but decided today to put the sounds on hold for a while. At least until I can find a decent income and I stop breaking stuff on the jeep.

The day you stop breaking your jeep is the day I take away your man card

I know the breakage won't stop, but damn I hope it slows down. Shits flying at me all at once. On a side note, my Rockford amp is still impressing me. Front speakers drown out the sub at 17 volume. And I used to have it at 20 minimum.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW. It's been forever since an update. Almost a month. Well heres a quick rundown of what I managed to do. I rebuilt the sub box to be alot bigger than it was. To me it sounds alot louder and plays with more authority. Before you ask, yes I reused most of the pieces, no I dont know what its tuned to, no I dont know how to tune it, yes I just put it together and threw it in the jeep, yes I like it. Maybe one of these days I'll have the time and money to sit down and plan out a few new box designs and build them.. In the meantime I'll be doing whats cheapest and easiest.... Onto the pictures!!

AC21E6A4-65C7-47CF-89AD-C84B9C404F99_zps

Where I'm pointing shows the location of the old panels as if all the holes, glue and caulking didn't give it away. :good:

CE962779-0AE8-43B5-9EA2-9B1792F6455E_zps

Here it is halfway done. Hopefully those lines I drew give you an idea of just how much bigger this is. And dont worry about that weirdo split peice to the right. I changed that out. I don't have any more final shots of it all said and done, but I need to carpet it still. In the meantime I decided to rebuild my R/C rock crawler and test out my fab work and paint skills. I'll put the pictures to all that stuff in an album in my photobucket and link it here. Dont really feel like crowding my own thread with non-stereo stuff.

http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/cameron7007/library/RC%20Stuff

Hopefully that works. As always, thanks for stoppin by and I hope you enjoyed one of the smallest updates ever :lol:

Edit: not too sure why the pictures are always huge. Oh well, at least they're high quality.

• 3 months later...

Been a little over 4 months since the last post, and I'm having a problem with my headunit.... I live on a dirt road, and you know what that means. Bumps, bumps, and more bumps. A few weeks ago i heard the passenger speaker go quiet and then come back. Lately its been getting worse. If i push on the faceplate of the stereo, the speaker will work again, but as soon as i let go, it stops working.. I cant afford a new stereo right now, or for the next 12 weeks (fire academy is taking all my time and money), so I'm wondering if anybody has a potential fix for this problem. I'm getting really annoyed and sony wont do anything about it (surprise surprise). Thanks in advance!!

Archived