jmc916 Posted October 18, 2015 Report Posted October 18, 2015 Hello, I was wondering if a loose wire at the subwoofer box terminal can cause a blown fuse on the amp? This didn't happen to me, it's second hand information from a family member. So I'm not sure if I have all of the details but I'll tell you what I know... The amplifier is a Renegade REN850S. It kept blowing both fuses as soon as you turned the ignition ON. From what I was told, when they removed the original 2 fuses, they were 20A. Then they looked it up online and it showed on SonicElectonix that it uses 2 25A fuses. So they stuck 2 25A fuses in the amp. Then they turned the ignition ON again and the subs started smoking! When they looked at the wiring at the back of the sub box, one of the negative wires was not connected and could have possibly be touching the other wires at the speaker terminals. So I have a couple of questions... Could it have been that disconnected wire at the back of the sub box causing the fuses to blow? How can I confirm that the amp does take 25A fuses and not 20A? If it turns out it did need 20A could that have caused the speakers to blow? Thanks in advance!
MotorCityFats13 Posted October 18, 2015 Report Posted October 18, 2015 I dont know that amp... but typically amps go into protect if the speaker leads short out. anytime a fuse blows the problem is in front of the blown fuse, if that amp did not have a protect then the fuse could blow.... you can always run a smaller fuse this will not hurt anything if it blows then you either have too small of a fuse or a major problem... if they didnt have any problems with the 20's then no need to change to 25's.... if you take the speaker leads off the amp is it still blowing 20amp fuses... the amp might have hit its "end of life cycle" or has no protection circuit and you fried it.....even with 20's in it they wouldn't blow at low volume, 2 X 20amps fuses would net you a potential 600watts rms estimate... fuses blow around 20% more than the rated current.....
reedal Posted October 19, 2015 Report Posted October 19, 2015 Hmm. Well, according to sonic electronix, that amp is supposed to have 25A fuses, as you stated already, If they have the manual, that should tell you for sure though. But that's not the issue. If it's blowing fuses as soon as the key is turned and the amp is powered on, then I'd start at all of the wiring. Something somewhere is shorting out. Even just one strand of copper grounding out could do it. Second, if said person thinks the gain is a volume knob, follows the "3/4 of the way up" rule you get from yahoo answers, then that could very well be the issue. Last would be the amp. It's made by Rockford Corp, but it's a very cheap brand that they make, so probably not the best quality of parts, or longevity of life. SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
jmc916 Posted October 19, 2015 Author Report Posted October 19, 2015 More information... When they put in the 25A fuses, the power light on the amp di come on and stay on. They said they heard the subs "turn on" when they turned the ignition ON. But then they started seeing the smoke come out of the boxes port a few seconds later. Then, they noticed the fuses had blown again. They also check the voltage at the power and ground wire at the amp and they were getting 12.something volts.
FourRings Posted October 19, 2015 Report Posted October 19, 2015 I dont know that amp... but typically amps go into protect if the speaker leads short out. anytime a fuse blows the problem is in front of the blown fuse, if that amp did not have a protect then the fuse could blow.... you can always run a smaller fuse this will not hurt anything if it blows then you either have too small of a fuse or a major problem... if they didnt have any problems with the 20's then no need to change to 25's.... if you take the speaker leads off the amp is it still blowing 20amp fuses... the amp might have hit its "end of life cycle" or has no protection circuit and you fried it.....even with 20's in it they wouldn't blow at low volume, 2 X 20amps fuses would net you a potential 600watts rms estimate... fuses blow around 20% more than the rated current..... Spot on advice,as said disconnect the speaker and see what happens.If there is a multi meter I'd check everything starting at the speaker and its resistance but I doubt the outcome is going to be too good but good luck.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.