Second Skin Audio

Port velocity help

Hotdog

Here is the scenario

4 Alpine type r dual 2 on and Opti 6000d

Alpine recommends an f3 of 29hz and an FB of 35hz with port area of 50 in^2 and port volume of .93 ft^3

in order to meet there criteria, here is where I am but Port velcidy is 27.6 m/s

Alpine recommends 50 sq^2 but i am at 100 sq^2 inches but not the typical 13-16 sq^2 per cubic foot. If I go bigger port is to long

So in a nut shell if you are putting max power to the subs un-clipped port velocity should be good as long as it is below 34 m/s correct?

I ask because if I add more volume to the box while over powering then I hurt the suspension of the woofer so I need a happy medium so to say.

Truck%20Box%202.0_zpsjwyypyhg.jpg

Generally speaking, I find Alpine's sub box recommendations to be no bueno. I would take what they suggest with a grain of salt and go by what looks good in BBP.

34 m/sec is the number everyone throws around as the port velocity max. The problem is 34 m/sec is going to work a whole lot better through a big, flared, straight aero port than it is through a high aspect ratio slot port with three 180 degree turns in it. With that in mind, it's hard to say with certainty what the max port velocity is you can get away with before bad things start happening. I'm of the mindset that I like to error on the side of caution and try to keep port velocities as low as is practical. I realize sometimes that is very difficult to do.

If your port velocities max out at 27.6 m/sec I would think you will be fine, assuming you have an efficient port layout, though if you could get them lower, it wouldn't hurt.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived