Second Skin Audio

Air Space Needed?

RyanRosier

I have a Rockford Fosgate P3 12" sub on a 600 Watt Rockford Amp. My box design is 15 Inches tall x 15 inches Deep x 42 Inches Wide.

This comes out to 4.27 feet of internal airspace using the outside deminsons and 3/4 MDF. Building the box this big will do what for me? It's recommended sealed is .75 - 1.25 HELP?!?!?!

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

I'm not an expert on enclosures and don't really fully understand them yet but I know it will not be good. I believe going that big you will lose all control of the subwoofer which means you will probably need a new one pretty quick.

Still learning but have started gathering.

Increasing the size of a sealed box will lower its QTC and sealed resonance (Fc), which are both good things that will get you more low end output. However when you make the box bigger you decrease it mechanical power handling. Much like mcfalcon said, your cone excursion can become too high and you could damage your sub. At over 4 cubic feet, you are WAY over the recommended size, so the short answer is: Don't do it!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

So what would you call ideal? When I shorten the width to 40" and the depth to 10" my airspace comes to 2.56 Cubic Feet? Is this a better design and safer?

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Because my girlfriend is the one who is getting a system. (I have my own) And in her 2012 Ford Fusion, she doesn't want a small box, she wants one that goes all the way across her trunk so it looks more stock. Ya know? And me being me I'm willing to please her haha,

Umm yeah possibly, I got this one brand new for $50 so I'm pretty sure I could pick up a second one, but then Id have to see about a new amp and all that

In my mind these are your options.

1. Pick up a 2nd sub and different amp

2. With the 2nd dimensions you posted you would be getting close to a ported box size for the sub. So maybe a ported design for the 1 sub.

Still learning but have started gathering.

Archived