plush4318 Posted November 30, 2015 Report Posted November 30, 2015 I measured all the dimensions I could think of, and was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what my box is tuned to. Or at least point me in the right direction of figuring it out. First off the subwoofers are 2 12" Eclipse sw7200. The specs on them can be found here: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7490_Eclipse-SW7200.html They are in a ported box that measures: W 30-1/2" H 14" D 19" Slotted port in between the subwoofers with these dimensions: W 2-1/2" H 12" D 14-3/4" The thickness of wood used is 1" 04trailblazer XS d3400 XS xp3000 Pioneer 80prs 2 pairs of DD AW6.5 mids 2 pairs of DD AT28 tweeters DD SS4A DD M1D DD 3518sc in custom kerf port box 2 runs Tspec 0/1 wire
Shenker Posted November 30, 2015 Report Posted November 30, 2015 37.83 before any displacement (my bad) probably right around 38.5hz ish. Just a point of interest I also noticed that you are a little slim on space according to the the recommended 2cubes per woofer ported, you may be able to get more output in a different box. -If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome. -"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever. 04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction) 4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz /////Alpine Crescendo KnuKoncepts Optima SHCA Build Thread 92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~ Gutted pipes 96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi) -System Removed- 1 10 on 1kW 89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis" Bone Stock Possibly going to stance it
plush4318 Posted November 30, 2015 Author Report Posted November 30, 2015 37.83 before any displacement (my bad) probably right around 38.5hz ish. Just a point of interest I also noticed that you are a little slim on space according to the the recommended 2cubes per woofer ported, you may be able to get more output in a different box. Sounds like a project to me. Though these aren't the end woofers I plan on using, I wouldn't mind trying to make my own box. I was thinking of doing subs up port back box to see how it sounded. Maybe now is the perfect time to try something. Also, after plugging the inside dimensions of the box, I came up with 3.99 cubic ft. But that's not taking into account the port or subs is it? 04trailblazer XS d3400 XS xp3000 Pioneer 80prs 2 pairs of DD AW6.5 mids 2 pairs of DD AT28 tweeters DD SS4A DD M1D DD 3518sc in custom kerf port box 2 runs Tspec 0/1 wire
Shenker Posted December 1, 2015 Report Posted December 1, 2015 Sounds like a project to me. Though these aren't the end woofers I plan on using, I wouldn't mind trying to make my own box. I was thinking of doing subs up port back box to see how it sounded. Maybe now is the perfect time to try something. Also, after plugging the inside dimensions of the box, I came up with 3.99 cubic ft. But that's not taking into account the port or subs is it? Were those inside dimensions? that calculator is for outside dimensions so that would make the volume smaller. and you say this is a prefab box? you would ABSOLUTELY gain output with a custom made box. as far as building your own box, I cant recommend that enough, not only is it a lot of fun, but you can do whatever you like with the fit and finish of it, subs up/port bad is a good setup for almost any application as well. -If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome. -"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever. 04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction) 4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz /////Alpine Crescendo KnuKoncepts Optima SHCA Build Thread 92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~ Gutted pipes 96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi) -System Removed- 1 10 on 1kW 89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis" Bone Stock Possibly going to stance it
plush4318 Posted December 1, 2015 Author Report Posted December 1, 2015 Sounds like a project to me. Though these aren't the end woofers I plan on using, I wouldn't mind trying to make my own box. I was thinking of doing subs up port back box to see how it sounded. Maybe now is the perfect time to try something. Also, after plugging the inside dimensions of the box, I came up with 3.99 cubic ft. But that's not taking into account the port or subs is it?Were those inside dimensions? that calculator is for outside dimensions so that would make the volume smaller. and you say this is a prefab box? you would ABSOLUTELY gain output with a custom made box. as far as building your own box, I cant recommend that enough, not only is it a lot of fun, but you can do whatever you like with the fit and finish of it, subs up/port bad is a good setup for almost any application as well. I just subtracted an inch from the outer dimensions to come up with the inner 3.99 cubic space 04trailblazer XS d3400 XS xp3000 Pioneer 80prs 2 pairs of DD AW6.5 mids 2 pairs of DD AT28 tweeters DD SS4A DD M1D DD 3518sc in custom kerf port box 2 runs Tspec 0/1 wire
Shenker Posted December 1, 2015 Report Posted December 1, 2015 I just subtracted an inch from the outer dimensions to come up with the inner 3.99 cubic space Doesnt quite work that way, you need to remove an inch from each end of each side in order for that to work, and it becomes messy. I have used that calculator time and time again and it is one of the most accurate ways to calculate it, I would trust that. -If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome. -"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever. 04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction) 4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz /////Alpine Crescendo KnuKoncepts Optima SHCA Build Thread 92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~ Gutted pipes 96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi) -System Removed- 1 10 on 1kW 89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis" Bone Stock Possibly going to stance it
Triticum Agricolam Posted December 1, 2015 Report Posted December 1, 2015 How much power are you running? Unless yours is a really low power setup, you are probably significantly undersized for port area. If you have the subs in the box and hooked up its really easy to find the tuning of the box. Just orient your box so your subs are facing up. You need some table salt/sugar and a tone generator, you can use a tone generator app for your phone. 1. Put a pinch of salt/sugar on your subwoofer cone/s. 2. Play a tone through your subs and moderate to low volume, you should see the salt dancing all over the place. 3. Raise and lower the tone until you find the frequency where the salt lays still on the cone (or moves the least), that's your tuning frequency. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
plush4318 Posted December 1, 2015 Author Report Posted December 1, 2015 How much power are you running? Unless yours is a really low power setup, you are probably significantly undersized for port area. If you have the subs in the box and hooked up its really easy to find the tuning of the box. Just orient your box so your subs are facing up. You need some table salt/sugar and a tone generator, you can use a tone generator app for your phone. 1. Put a pinch of salt/sugar on your subwoofer cone/s. 2. Play a tone through your subs and moderate to low volume, you should see the salt dancing all over the place. 3. Raise and lower the tone until you find the frequency where the salt lays still on the cone (or moves the least), that's your tuning frequency. Probably between 1200-1700 watts. dd M1D amp with dvc wired to 1 ohm. subsonic set around 28-30, 63 hertz set on the head unit 04trailblazer XS d3400 XS xp3000 Pioneer 80prs 2 pairs of DD AW6.5 mids 2 pairs of DD AT28 tweeters DD SS4A DD M1D DD 3518sc in custom kerf port box 2 runs Tspec 0/1 wire
Joe X Posted December 1, 2015 Report Posted December 1, 2015 I measured all the dimensions I could think of, and was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what my box is tuned to. Or at least point me in the right direction of figuring it out. First off the subwoofers are 2 12" Eclipse sw7200. The specs on them can be found here: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7490_Eclipse-SW7200.html They are in a ported box that measures: W 30-1/2" H 14" D 19" Slotted port in between the subwoofers with these dimensions: W 2-1/2" H 12" D 14-3/4" The thickness of wood used is 1" If really 1" wood I get about 2.6 cubic feet net @ 39Hz with about 30 square inches of port area, looks a pretty bad spec, even if it was 3/4" wood the box specs are off at 3 net for the pair, if you want to get the lows I would recommend repeating the box or just closing the port and running as sealed.
plush4318 Posted December 1, 2015 Author Report Posted December 1, 2015 I measured all the dimensions I could think of, and was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what my box is tuned to. Or at least point me in the right direction of figuring it out. First off the subwoofers are 2 12" Eclipse sw7200. The specs on them can be found here: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7490_Eclipse-SW7200.html They are in a ported box that measures: W 30-1/2" H 14" D 19" Slotted port in between the subwoofers with these dimensions: W 2-1/2" H 12" D 14-3/4" The thickness of wood used is 1" If really 1" wood I get about 2.6 cubic feet net @ 39Hz with about 30 square inches of port area, looks a pretty bad spec, even if it was 3/4" wood the box specs are off at 3 net for the pair, if you want to get the lows I would recommend repeating the box or just closing the port and running as sealed. Just use a board and some glue/screws? At least it would give me another sound to hear and not let that box be a total waste. I'll start asking around for some box dimensions and specs to build my own aero ported box. 04trailblazer XS d3400 XS xp3000 Pioneer 80prs 2 pairs of DD AW6.5 mids 2 pairs of DD AT28 tweeters DD SS4A DD M1D DD 3518sc in custom kerf port box 2 runs Tspec 0/1 wire
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.