Second Skin Audio

Terminal Bolt Placement

Lakeshow94

I've heard of people having an issue of placing their terminal bolts in a spot that causes the speaker wire to move with the air of the sub causing a noise to come from inside the box. Has anyone experienced this? Where would you recommend placing the bolts? I had planned to run the speaker wire under the subs to the side of the box. Box is a dual 12 box with subs and port facing back.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Yes, having the wires ran in a location that the air moves throughout the port, or near the woofer can lead to a rattling sound. Worst case scenario the loose wiring can even hit the back of the cone while the cone moves in and out.

To prevent this avoid the port area within the enclosure, the wire path should be near a corner of the box. Also steps can be taken to secure the wire within the box to avoid such rattling. I discuss that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUPYvWE9Dmo

As for where to locate the terminals I typically try to choose a location that cannot be easily seen within the install, but that can be accessed in the event that you do need to disconnect the enclosure, also keep in mind keeping the wire as short as possible.

Hope that helps.

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

That was actually great! Thanks for the advice. I had heard about that kind of noise but never experienced it myself. I'm thinking of just dropping the wires straight down and clamping them to the bottom corner of the box until they are routed to the rear corner. I can only imagine how irritating it would be to hear that sound after everything is mounted/in place.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

I zip-tied my wire to the bracing in my enclosure and just drilled a hole on the back so wire can come out, then filled with amazing goop. Problem solved even though I did want to do terminal bolts at first.

Nav-TV Zen V Audio Interface

AudioControl DM-608

(2) Stevens Audio Neo-Comp Full-Size Horns

(4) Faital Pro 6PR160 6.5"

AudioControl LC-6.1200

(1) Fi Neo 4.7 15" D2 in 3.74 Cubic Feet @ 27.70 Hz

Ampere Audio AA3800.1

Odyssey ODP-AGM48 Battery (Starting)

Odyssey ODX-AGM31 Battery (Trunk)

Big 3 - 2\0 Welding Cable, KnuKonceptz Speaker Wire & 1/0 Power Cable, NVX RCAs, Second Skin (Speaker Tweaker Pads, Damplifier Pro Mat), Diode Dynamics LEDs

Archived