Amplifier Repair Help

Haven't been on here in ages but I needed some insight on a broken amplifier I have. I have a new Behringer Epx2800 and I was very anxious when I got it. I hooked it up to my D2 Skar ZVX12 and played it at 1ohm while the amp is only stable at 4 ohms bridged. As you might guess the amp didn't last long, after testing parts of a few songs it was toast.(1-2mins) Smelled like something burned up, but other than that the inside of the amp looked fine. From what I have found online is that I should be looking for a FET that failed. Other than that Google hasn't been much help.

I'm starting to look for repair shops near me that will tackle the job but I'd rather save the money if I can. I have basic electrical skills and determination to take parts of and solder new ones back on. Plus this is a skill I will need/learn for my degree so why not now. I also have the electrical engineering building on campus that might be able to help out.

I'm looking to see if someone can tell me what might have failed so I can figure out what do.

Basshead-in-Training

Pictures of the amplifier, quality isn't the best photobucket seems to take away some quality.

45780EDB-4E93-46BF-902C-1E68CEFFCB0A.jpg

42779BFE-A191-4BDE-A2FA-E740EB8B9523.jpg

033DF512-E8D7-4654-A19C-2B4ABFFBB40E.jpg

74232B1A-1EED-4F15-9FD2-2AC8AEDF550F.jpg

E3822102-87EB-40B9-9CD2-3B16F5FFD7B5.jpg

I've looked at that page before and I ended up reading it all the way through after it was suggested. I'm not really sure how to diagnose the amplifier but I tested the voltage that was coming out of the speaker outputs and got a voltage reading of ~6vac out of one channel and less than 1vac out of the other. I remember reading on that page that In Rockford amplifiers when an output transistor shorts it would pull a subwoofer to its limits when it powered up. This isn't quite what happens in my case but it will slightly pull the subwoofer. I can only assume this because I cannot see it inside of the band pass box but I can hear it make noise every time the sub is connected to the amplifier.

So is it likely a short in one of the transistors on the large heat sink? And is there anyway to know for sure without removing all the transistors? And even if one transistor is bad do they all have to be replaced so they are identical in electrical properties?

Basshead-in-Training

• 2 weeks later...

its best to replace them because if the damage was done to one then the others were not far behind in also being broken and may be damaged.

Think of it as taking a 4 guage cable and cutting it half way through, it will still work but if you try to put enough power through it, it will fail.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived