Second Skin Audio

Air gap issue

Lakeshow94

The simplest way would be to draw a circle of how big you need the hole to be and then cut it free hand with a straight bit. If you aren't experienced with a router, I would advise against this way though. A better way to do it would be to either use a circle jig and straight bit, or use a rabbeting bit and a dado clean out bit.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

hmm just sounds like something I could possibly mess up.... I contacted the box builder. The issue was he was going off v2 meso specs and I have the newer v3. I'm considering just sanding it down or just removing the gasket on the woofer to make it fit. Have you guys had any issues with air leaks from removing woofer gaskets?

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

I had this exact same problem. Built a box for a dd 12 and my dc xl12 wouldn't fit. Router with circle jig is best/cleanest/easiest solution. Buy a $20 pawn shop router and make your own jig. If you dont have a router you can buy a end mill bit for a regular drill and shave it that way. It will be super difficult to get a clean edge though.

TeamDeadlyHertz-bman8891.png

cut a board 5" wide by whataver diamater your hole is + 3 inches. slip it in and under the speaker cutout and use the speaker mounting screw holes to secure it to tha backside of the baffle.

now get a scrap piece of wood, cut a new circle the thickness of the baffle,

cut it the same diameter as your cutout - 1" (use a router and jasper jig)

mount that to the board that is scrwed to the back of the baffle and make sure its centered.

reuse the center hole and jasper jig and router and cut the hole out to the right size.

remove all the extra stuff.

edit: clarification

Both are pretty good ideas. I ended up getting it to work just by removing the gasket surrounding the woofer. I thought about trying with a router but thats another 150-200 gone as well as I've never used a router and it doesn't seem as simple as I thought it might be. Thanks for the input though.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Archived