Second Skin Audio

Air gap issue

Lakeshow94

So i had a box built for 2 ct sounds meso 12s. The box also has a flush baffle. The issue is when I set the woofers in the outer rim of the mounting rubber sits outside the flush baffle. Its not too far off, maybe 1/4"-1-2". What do people recommend to shave that down? Its birch and I don't want it to split. Is there a certain drill attachment? I don't have a router or jig, part of the reason I had someone else build it.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

when you set the subs in, do they sit flush on the mounting surface? or is the wood warped and they sit flush in one spot and are raised in another? if so, weather stripping will work in to seal it as long as the gap isnt too large. if youre referring to around the outer diameter of the mounting lip but the mounting surface is flush, dont worry too much about it. now if the holes are cut as an oval and only come mounting holes go into the wood... well...

make the builder redo it correctly. this is the answer to all of these problems. you paid someone to do the work. make them do it correctly.

The woofer sits level the only thing is it doesn't sit in the outer hole as it should to be flush. It pretty much sits normally, although it only has 1/4"-1/2" of actual contact between the woofer and the box. I feel like over time it will eventually warp the rubber due to the weight and bow in. The issue is the builder is 2.5 hours away. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to fix it although thats 5 hours out of a day. Could I use a dremel or something to open the hole up more?

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Exactly. Although its even farther off than that. Even the outer lip is still a good 1/4"-1/2" from being able to seat the way it should.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

I get what you're saying but it seems like it is a simple enough fix. Would you say it would be pretty easy to do with a dremel?

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

as well as I start up school next week and between school and work there isn't much time to work on my car. I'd rather get a dremel and do it myself tomorrow since im off if it is do able.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

You could do it with a Dremel, but it would take forever and probably look like hell when you are done.

There are a several ways to do it that I would consider to be "right", but they all require a router to do it. Would you be willing to pick up a cheap router at a pawn shop?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

You could do it with a Dremel, but it would take forever and probably look like hell when you are done.

There are a several ways to do it that I would consider to be "right", but they all require a router to do it. Would you be willing to pick up a cheap router at a pawn shop?

x2

all fixes I can think of will involve a router and a couple different bits.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Archived