Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

fi BTL N2 18" or go with 2 smaller subs??


Vinnydb

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello everyone. I have 1 Fi BTL N2 18 fully loaded. I had the sub in my previous car (2010 Audi A4) and was just getting ready to redo the box in fiberglass to save a little weight and gain a little space. Well some lady hit me and totaled my car. So i went out and purchased a 2005.5 Audi S4. The trunk is slightly different and from my measurements, a little smaller. I am debating on keeping the Fi BTL and sealing the trunk off and having the sub facing into the car with the seats down. I'm trying to get as close to 8 cubes as possible before the speaker and ports displacement. I also need the enclosure to be removable for those long family trips and what not. I don't care about having a usable trunk for now with it installed. My current setup (on a budget mind you) is the stock Audi/Lamborghini RNSE deck with a AudioControl LC7i. I have a JL Audio 4 channel amp for the mids and highs and I am running new wires to all the current speakers. The car has a Bose stereo in it which sounds decent, but never good enough. I have a Hifonics Collossus Pro 5k that is wired at 4 ohms for 1900 watts RMS. I know hifonics amps aren't ideal, but it is what i have for now (CEA2006 compliant) I have a new 190 amp Water Cooled alternator, The Big 3 under the hood and 2 runs of 0 gauge from a brand-new battery back to an XS power cell. I am going to build an enclosure out of fiberglass because i already have the materials sitting around.(wasn't exactly cheap so i don't want to toss it) The box will be built out of some thick fiberglass with many layers and tons of internal bracing to keep the box as solid as possible.

OK, so the reason for my post, is because of how much space the BTL needs to perform properly. I'm debating on swapping the BTL for 2 smaller subs that will require less space than the BTL. I love the BTL and it has never let me down....but should i look elsewhere with what i have to work with. The car is my daily driver so when the seats are up, it needs to look as stock as possible. If i could get some subs that will wire down to 2 ohms in the end, i can extract even more power from my sub amp (2500 rms at 2 ohms or 1250 rms x2 at 1 ohm) I'm shooting for 150 on music as my DD. I was going to do a 4th order for the BTL but everyone says they don't work in 4th orders (not to mention i don't have enough space anymore for one) Can anyone give their input on if there is a better option for me for sub setup?

150 or bust

Posted

hmm...ok. Ill see what i can come up with. My last enclosure was too small, but i still had some usable trunk space with the 18 (not much, but i still had about 14 inches left from box to back of the trunk.... Im thinking i might be able to get away with it. I did some mock up and came up with about 9 cubic feet to work with before any displacement and it would be removable. but still Not like: reach in and walk away with it, but still doable in less than 30 minutes. (it wont be the 8cf AFTER displacement like i would prefer, but i could still eek out maybe 6.5 or 7cf) Ill look into some other subs, but i'm kinda partial to the BTL. I just dont plan on keeping this car for a LONG time and i dont want to fab something into the trunk that will either alter the trunk to where i cannot put it back to stock for resale, or something that would involve cutting like on steve's lexus....are there any 12's that can perform as good or better than the BTL...on a budget?

150 or bust

Posted

well on that note.. Im going to make it work. If I fail, I will admit defeat and buy something else. I bet Steve could fab up something sweet. I'll take pictures of the build. I will see if I can have it metered locally. Goal is 150. Just for fun I will seehow close I get! Thanks for the input

150 or bust

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2846 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...