Would anyone actually pick AMD over Nvidia?? read for more info

I know this discussion is probably overly done like the "which sub is better?" threads... but I'm asking for specifically for my current system if you'd even bother with upgrade..

Current Specs:

Asus Sabertooth x79

i7 3930k @ 3.7GHz - LGA2011

16GB 1600MHz

512GB SSD BX100

Nvidia GTX 660Ti - 4GB model

Should I bother to upgrade??? Noticing lag on GTA V is annoying as hell and Star Wars Battlefront lots of artifacts....
Thing is I have a buddy who loves his AMD 280 and he's telling me just go for it over the Nvidia, but a lot of comparisons but the GTX 970 over the 380 and I haven't had AMD in a long time so hard to convince... What bothers me is the memory hardware issue that is not being changed on the current GTX 9 series 3.5GB instead of the total 4GB working seamlessly ...
If I am going to see a huge difference in IQ (image quality) with the GPU then I won't go for AMD... everything online for gameplay or even screenshots show quite a difference with IQ and I know if I can get a bump in performance either way and IQ isn't actually what it seems then AMD it is...
Any input would be great!!
Summary:
Looking to upgrade from GTX 660 TI and looking for recommendations under $300 is possible....

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

just look at the pricing .... whaaaaaatttt

GPU%252520prices.jpg

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

Honestly? I have a 750ti and it does plenty. You won't be playing GTA5 at maximum with 60fps but I maxed out metal gear solid phantom pain with no stuttering or slowdown.

As for "Why AMD"? Because once you get multiple 4k displays chained together, AMD starts to pull ahead and generally when it comes to their flagship products AMD is priced slightly lower. But take everything I say with a grain of sald because I'm team intel/Nvidia ALL THE WAY!

Honestly? I have a 750ti and it does plenty. You won't be playing GTA5 at maximum with 60fps but I maxed out metal gear solid phantom pain with no stuttering or slowdown.

As for "Why AMD"? Because once you get multiple 4k displays chained together, AMD starts to pull ahead and generally when it comes to their flagship products AMD is priced slightly lower. But take everything I say with a grain of sald because I'm team intel/Nvidia ALL THE WAY!

lol Nvidia is and has been great for me as well...

I'm not sure I'd be going higher than 1080p but might eventually do it across dual monitors.... so that is my only thing, 1440P maybe but then it would be the 1 monitor... So thats where I'd be resolution wise

also Amazon has their warehouse deals and found a MSI GTX 970 for $300 before tax.... hmmmm

Unless you absolutely want to buy now I would suggest waiting for the new lines from both sides to release, as I believe that new manufacturing techniques are coming into play for both sides with tremendously smaller die sizes.

I believe Nvidia will go from 26nm to 16nm and AMD from 26nm to 13nm. The benefit of this is same price cards for better performance or cheaper for same.

If you look at AMD the only reason to look at anything recent from them would be for the HBM memory, everything else is practically the same since the manufacturing techniques haven't changed in many years. Which is while you'll see a lot of the 280x being directly compared to the 380x and stated as a rebranding of it.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

i upgraded from gtx 750ti ($140) to gtx 970 ($340) and the difference was not very obvious at first

almost all of my games (BF4, Dying light, project cars, sims4) looked the same while standing idle in game except on GTA5

On GTA5 I immediately noticed the difference in quality eye candy and was happy about the cost to upgrade

All of my games look and feel much better with the gtx 970 when the game is moving fast like high speed driving ect.

When I had my gtx750ti I never lagged on GTA5 from my hardware so your issue could maybe be something else

I did lag on battlefield4 with my gtx750ti and once I upgraded the lag was cut way down

I have been thinking of getting away from nvidia for my next card because nvidia like to have around 10 processes going and it annoys me

but I dont know if AMD is much better in that sense

Unless you absolutely want to buy now I would suggest waiting for the new lines from both sides to release, as I believe that new manufacturing techniques are coming into play for both sides with tremendously smaller die sizes.

I believe Nvidia will go from 26nm to 16nm and AMD from 26nm to 13nm. The benefit of this is same price cards for better performance or cheaper for same.

If you look at AMD the only reason to look at anything recent from them would be for the HBM memory, everything else is practically the same since the manufacturing techniques haven't changed in many years. Which is while you'll see a lot of the 280x being directly compared to the 380x and stated as a rebranding of it.

i upgraded from gtx 750ti ($140) to gtx 970 ($340) and the difference was not very obvious at first

almost all of my games (BF4, Dying light, project cars, sims4) looked the same while standing idle in game except on GTA5

On GTA5 I immediately noticed the difference in quality eye candy and was happy about the cost to upgrade

All of my games look and feel much better with the gtx 970 when the game is moving fast like high speed driving ect.

When I had my gtx750ti I never lagged on GTA5 from my hardware so your issue could maybe be something else

I did lag on battlefield4 with my gtx750ti and once I upgraded the lag was cut way down

I have been thinking of getting away from nvidia for my next card because nvidia like to have around 10 processes going and it annoys me

but I dont know if AMD is much better in that sense

Thanks guys.... you're pretty much helping me support my own wants for the upgrade... I did read of upgrades to smaller chips on next go around... guess i can wait.... I have $140 in points w/ my visa and figured it would be a nice upgrade so waiting a bit longer isn't a huge deal... guess I'll have this thread on pause until then... who knows what else I might get by then... 32GB ram??? hmmm lol

My single 970 gtx superclocked does the trick for all games so far maxed out on 1920x1080, as well as GTA 5

7w1lnOR.jpg

2004 Bagged Trailblazer

(4)18" Sundown Nsv3s
(4) Taramps HD10000s, Taramps DSP3000, Lanzar opti 250x2, AB 100x4
(2)DC power SP 270s, (14)XS Power d3100s, (1)d6500

Something that may or may not play a factor into your decision if you do any coding....Nvidia has CUDA cores and offers a different avenue for GPU computations....

The only time I would go for AMD is if I found a great deal or was looking to build a super budget gaming rig.

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4

Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12

Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1

Archived