9Nails Posted January 26, 2016 Report Posted January 26, 2016 Hello! I'm looking for a ported box design to put into a 2014 Ford Focus hatchback. The speaker is a Sundown Audio Zv4 12" Rev2 D2. My tastes are a little bit of everything, so the design would be somewhat flat and plays nice with all music. Sundown suggests a 2.5 Cu Ft box with a 32 Hz tune. I'm not sure what resonant frequency my car's interior is at. Does anyone have experience with an enclosure for this vehicle? What I was interested in was slope of the rear of the box so that it fits snugly against the back seats. And possibly to slope the front as well so that the speaker isn't kicking the groceries around like a ninja. I was thinking of mounting the speaker so that it's on the center line of the car if it's all the same musically. It would just look somewhat more "balanced" in the trunk being my main reason for a center mount. If anyone builds boxes professionally, and wants to take on finishing a box like a home theater cabinet (like this drum set below) please let me know! http://www.thedwstore.com/products/candy-apple-red-stain-over-birch-with-chrome-hardware Thanks for taking the time to read this. Rear dimensions are: (Max) Width: 40.5" (shock tower to shock tower) (Max) Height: 16.5" (floor to rear cover) (Max) Depth: 23" Slope of rear seats are 7.5" at 16.5" high. I put a right angle on the floor resting the other end against the top of the seat back and used a tape measure to come up with 7.5" at the floor to touch the seat back.
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 26, 2016 Report Posted January 26, 2016 You are going to have a hard time getting flat frequency response with subs of that RMS power range, the Zv4 is no different in that regard. I guess you could run it sealed and would get pretty flat response, but that's not something most folks want to do. What amp are you going to use? What part of the country are you located in? "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
9Nails Posted January 26, 2016 Author Report Posted January 26, 2016 Hi Triticum Agricolam, The sundown will be powered by a Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D Amp. I already have the amp and sub in hand, but they're in the shipping boxes at this point. I'm installing in mid February when I take some time off from work. I'm in California, San Diego area. Sealed isn't desirable. I agree with you on that. I knew it wouldn't be totally flat from 30 to 80, as an example. I'm sure that I'll get a natural bump from the car's cabin too, which will make things exciting. I can always add an eq later to customize the sound, but I didn't want to give an impression that I'm looking for an SPL box, and this woofer kind of lends itself to that impression with it's crazy excursion. But it's also pretty low on distortion too.
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 26, 2016 Report Posted January 26, 2016 Yeah the Z v.4s are nice subs with low distortion, but they do tend to be peaky in output. You can help tame that peak some by putting them in a box that is on the smaller side. Then you can tweak it from there with EQ, like you said. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
9Nails Posted January 26, 2016 Author Report Posted January 26, 2016 Good to know! Thank you for the input. You've been very helpful. I was noticing your Facebook page, you have some nice enclosures here. Do you build these for customers? Are you looking for work, either designing an enclosure or design and building?
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 26, 2016 Report Posted January 26, 2016 Good to know! Thank you for the input. You've been very helpful. I was noticing your Facebook page, you have some nice enclosures here. Do you build these for customers? Are you looking for work, either designing an enclosure or design and building? I'll PM you about it. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
allzone Posted February 1, 2016 Report Posted February 1, 2016 hey i have dimensions of 33deep 32wide by 14.5 tall what is a good design for 2 zv4 rev 2 12s ?
9Nails Posted February 3, 2016 Author Report Posted February 3, 2016 Hi Allzone, You might want to create a new forum thread in this section about that question. People will be able to find and track it better. But getting to that question, that's about 7.2 CU FT subtracting the 0.75 for the thickness of wood. The box that will eventually be built for my car will be about 2 CU FT for the 1 Sundown Audio 12 Zv4 woofer. So you should have plenty of room for your project.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.