Second Skin Audio

Best subs to work with the rest of my setup

Daniel644

Two sundown sa 15s

Two ssa gcon 15s

It your really wanna get crazy two sundown X 12s with SPL cone/surround to give it more of the highs for the rock you listen to.

Kinda starting to lean toward the Sundown X line but would prefer the 15, seams to be in the realm. of where i'd like to be plus the recommended box size and stuff lines up decently.

if it helps here are some drawings I did on the box before I built it, it was built as shown with the exception of the center divider, there is a small divider that is really just support in the middle of the box, so it's all shared space, open to any advise on how to alter the ports for the different subs as well.

trailblazer-box-3d-realistic-jpg.66830_z

trailblazer-box-3d-wireframe-jpg.66831_z

trailblazer-box-cutsheet-jpg.66833_zpsol

What is tuning on current box? hard to tell from the drawings but the ports look short so tuning is probably pretty high.

redoing the math, I think it is too, my original target was 38Hz but (and not accounting for speaker displacement as I can't find that number anywhere online), puts the tune around 40Hz, so likely 41-42 after displacement which sounds about right for where the boxes peak output occurs when playing test tones.

here is a sketch of a top view of the box showing the existing in black and the proposed changes in red, by my math, the box would drop to 6.81 cubes (due to additional port run and would put the box tuning between 34 and 35Hz after giving 0.22 cubes (per sub) of displacement for the new subs being considered.

box%20mod_zpse1caaegu.jpg

ok, so i've spent the last several days researching and messing with the Torres Box Calculator, depending on final displacement of the woofer and port tuning I'm looking to be in the realm of 3.5-4.25 cubes per sub with a port tune of 32Hz with sub displacement accounted for, to that I have been looking at subs that I think would fit that bill, so my current options are as follows:

Budget friendly:

SoundQubed HDC315 dual 1 ohm

Crescendo Audio FORTE 15 dual 4 ohm

Sundown SA-15 D4 Rev 2

REAudio SXX V2-15D4

High end of budget:

DC Audio Level 4 15 m2.1 D1

Sundown X-15 D4

Fi SSD-EL 15 Dual 1

Fi Q 15 Dual 1

are there any of these I should just remove from the list due to power requirements to effectively use the subs vs. the amp that is being used (keep in mind there will be 2 of which ever of these subs that are chosen and all will be wired to a 1 ohm load on the amp).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd also buy a new amp ,hifonics is dirty power for cheap , ran that shit before bout a quality amp and night and day difference had to turn the gain down on the good amp. Clean power is what your new good subs want.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

I'd also buy a new amp ,hifonics is dirty power for cheap , ran that shit before bout a quality amp and night and day difference had to turn the gain down on the good amp. Clean power is what your new good subs want.

yeah, thats not gonna happen anytime soon, I specifically bought that amp to match the 4-channel that runs the mids and highs, so until one of them dies they both stay. I'm really just trying to pick the best sub option to fit the power I have and the now revised box, which is 3.67 cubes per sub assuming a .22 displacement for the subs tuned to 32Hz.

Archived