Second Skin Audio

What's the best box for a trunk?

I've been talking with my local car audio guru...I'm not front firing my sub and sealing it after chatting with him. I am looking for the best output of sound I can get from a trunk, single 12, on 500w-600w. Just looking for options. I'd like to get as "loud" as I can, so I assume ported. Was looking at 4th orders in trunks, they get loud if done right. For now, I want to still have a somewhat usable trunk, Thanks to the wife ;)

Just wondering if there are any options for me!

Thanks,

PF

standard ported firing back

the "Best" is front firing sealed off but you were talked out of that somehow?

if you have no experience with building bandpasses and are not willing to have some trial and error I would steer clear

what was said to stop you from sealing off your trunk and firing forward???

thats the only way I will do a truck set up unless its a BMW or something with the metal plate separating the trunk from the cab

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

I would seal it off sounds so much better, also dont know why you was talked out of it.

XS Power D5100, 2 D2700s, & 2 D975s

MechMan 220a Alt

DC 5K

Kicker 650.4

2 12 Ascendant Audio Mayhem's

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD

Rockford Fosgate 3sity.1

Build log: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166792-88-nissan-maxima-trunk-build/#entry2430899

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/191439-lexus-is300-fi-crescendo-shca-rf-pics/

Basically I was told in a nutshell, front firing and sealed is mostly for numbers. The difference isn't THAT big. He has been doing car audio for 30+yrs, so I trust him. If I was to go bandpass, he would build it, not me. If I sealed it off, I'd have him build the box, then just flip it and seal it. He said it's more trouble than its worth for my application.

lol I would not trust him anymore after that statement

it is SOOOOOOOO much louder sealed off from the trunk firing foward and sound SOOOOOOOOOO much better to

and there is clearly a difference to the EAR

maybe he does not have the knowledge of pushing the box back making the panels to seal it off correctly???

taking a standard ported box pushing it forward then sealing it. Is not optimal but still better then rear firing rattle machines

a little thought has to be put into it

My main concern is my lack of tools, and enclosure building skills. I don't want to get in there and have some ugly ass shit in my trunk, even if it sounds good. I want it to be somewhat easy on the eyes lol.

Tbh, I'll prolly have him build me an enclosure, and I'll build my own after and seal it off and see if there is a difference. Any suggestions as to how to go about it? Like I said, I don't exactly have a sawmill in my garage lol

Thanks

PF

I was gonna go ported for mine but had to go with a 4thBP since the seats do not fold. I had to figure out a way to get bass in the cabin and not rattling in the back wasting output.

Does well on the meter too, 141dB@40Hz 2 10s on 1K. If I had my choice, it would have been a ported box sealed firing into the cabin, WAY less rattle. My 4th goes thru the ski hole so rattle is minimal.

Also generally I believe most trunk cars built for numbers are unsealed so they can play with placement. (Someone correct me if I am mistaken).

I say seal it off and build a ported front firing box

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

I was gonna go ported for mine but had to go with a 4thBP since the seats do not fold. I had to figure out a way to get bass in the cabin and not rattling in the back wasting output.

Does well on the meter too, 141dB@40Hz 2 10s on 1K. If I had my choice, it would have been a ported box sealed firing into the cabin, WAY less rattle. My 4th goes thru the ski hole so rattle is minimal.

Also generally I believe most trunk cars built for numbers are unsealed so they can play with placement. (Someone correct me if I am mistaken).

I say seal it off and build a ported front firing box

no you have to seal it of or you will lose many DB's.....

the formula has pretty much been as perfected as it can pus the box as far back as possible build sealing panels to the trunk opening then seal it off you can adjust port sizes and length and adjust the sub baffle for different air space but as far back as possible sealed is the only way to go for numbers

Luckily my seats do fold down! I'm just looking for optimal loud/low factors, and usability of my trunk for groceries and shit. Lol

Thanks

Seal it off

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

Archived