Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Tell me what you think of this


Recommended Posts

Posted

What do you recommend on port area if I go with the slot port?

150 sq in should do the trick.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Sorry for all the questions but thank you for teaching me new things. Say I wanted to do a slot port facing the rear and on either the left or right side, how do I put that in on Torres for common port walls? Would that be 3 for the bottom, side, and top?

Posted

Yup, you got it, it will be three common port walls.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Alright so I liked your idea with 1 12" aero so look this over real fast. Subs up, aero back. But tell me why it says I would have to bend my port. Bc when I put 7 inches external that only leaves 18.75 internal after you subtract the 3/4 for the wood. My box is 28 inches deep and only 18.75 will be inside leaving 9.25 between my aero and the front wall. Why would I have to bend the port or would i?

33%20hz%20aeroport%20final%20draft_zpsvt

Posted

I see no reason why you would have to bend the port. Torres isn't a 100% accurate, and this could be one of its little bugs.

Other than that I think your design looks great. When it comes to the implementation of a 12" port here's how I'd do it. I'd use a 12" concrete form tube from Home Depot, they are like $10. They aren't exactly 12" ID though, there can be some variation. I'd put a plywood ring on the inside end so you can use a roundover bit to make a flare. Mount the tube in your box so the end is 6" away from the back wall of your box. Leave the outside end longer than you need. You can test to see where your tuning is (it should be low since you left the port long) and then trim down the outside port until you get it where you want it. Once its the right length you can put plywood ring on the outside end and cut a flare for it too.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Alright so I liked your idea with 1 12" aero so look this over real fast. Subs up, aero back. But tell me why it says I would have to bend my port. Bc when I put 7 inches external that only leaves 18.75 internal after you subtract the 3/4 for the wood. My box is 28 inches deep and only 18.75 will be inside leaving 9.25 between my aero and the front wall. Why would I have to bend the port or would i?

33%20hz%20aeroport%20final%20draft_zpsvt

Ideally you need 12" clearance on either end of the port, you don't have that for the inner end so you get a bend status.

Posted

It's not like you can't do a little below 12", testing will show you what to need to do but usually it's better to find alternative solutions before breaking design rules, for example tuning 1/2 - 1 Hertz up would help you get ideal clearance or you can go with a slot port.

Posted

Oh ok that makes sense. You think I will run into problems doing it without a bend? Or you think it would be ok being 6-8" off the wall?

If you put the 12" port 6" from the inside wall it won't restrict airflow any, but it could (and probably will) lower the tuning some. That's why I suggested if you go that route you cut the port long and test and trim to get the tuning you are after.
If you want to go the 12" port route it might be a good idea to play around with how far you have the port from the inside wall before you permanently attach it. Like Joe X said, there are always other ways to do it too.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 379 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...