Sonic Electronix

Starting a new "mild" build on 07 Silverado ext cab, just needing some ideas, thoughts, input.

First off I am new to this site so if this is in the wrong section let me know and I will post it some where else.

This build will be on my 07 Chevy Silverado ext cab 3500 dually, work truck. I spend a lot of time in it and enjoy listening to music so a good sounding system is a must. I don't want or need anything windsheildshattering loud just a great sounding system.

After doing some research and visiting a couple of local shops here is the list I have came up with.

!. Sound deadening ..........more than likely Second Skin in the front doors to start with along with repairing the electric windows and locks. I will work my way around with the deadner . Roof, floor, rear short doors and back wall.

2. Head unit.............I was looking at some of the later Alpine units until I got to reading about the whole distortion issue debacle that is related to the CDE-HD149BT 's . I still may go with an Alpine in the form of a single DIN but will make sure its checked out before installing. What ever it ends up being something with a radio,CD player, Bluetooth, USB, aux for iPod and 3 sets of RCA jacks will be a must have.

3. Here is where I get confused . Component speakers in the front. I have been looking at some 2 ways from Hertz, Focal and JL BUT I have also been thinking of a 3 way component set like the ones from JL and a few others. Has anyone tried the C5's from JL in a 3 way combination ? These have an RMS of 75 watts. 225 peak .

4.Custom kick pods or door pods for the front ? or just install in the doors ?

5. amp to run the fronts ...need suggestions here. Alpine , Fosgate, JL ????? 2 or 4 channel. Thinking 4 channel if I want to add a little rear fill.

6. Subs ...........Do to me constantly getting in and out of the rear seat area with tools I do not think a big sub box is in my future for this one. I was thinking of the compact subs that come built in the amps from Rockford Fosgate. Small compact that will fit under the front seats. I think these are rated at 150 watts and are called PS-8's

My questions and concerns would be . Do I need a bigger alternator for this mild set up ? I might add a huge CB later so I thinking yes. Am I thinking in the right direction here ? Does this plan sound solid ? This will be my first higher tech install with Bluetooth and all that fancy stuff so I want to get this planned out well. .............thanks in advance.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/203308-fianally-learned-how-to-post-good-picturesf150-super-crew/ This is my F-150 ,I'm currently building a box for a 3rd sub but the subs are Digital Design shallow mount 10's , they can handle 800RMS apiece , All my mids are alpine type R 's ,they are 125RMS each . I love the subs but with anything Digital Design u pay way to much for it . Fosgate makes great subs it all depends on how loud u want it , never hurts to upgrade your alternator I got a power bastards 250amp, It seems in this stupid audio addiction we all have it is never loud enough.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

As far as your JL questions they don't get much love on this site , I've never owned any but just look at at all the companies advertising on this site , they are all quality products and guys here can give more advise on them. Mids are tuff there are so many options .

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Currently checking out the Alpine Type R's and they are A LOT cheaper than the C5 3 way JL's I was looking at and they are rated at more watts. $200 for the type R's and $700 for the C5 3ways .........hmmmmmmmmm

When I first hooked up type R's was running 85RMS to each speaker and I hated them so got new amp and now running 130RMS and they woke up and I'm very impressed with them.

I'm running 2 punch pbr amps to my mids there rated 125x2 , if u got no room these things rock they are the size of a wallet got mine stashed behind my dash and glove box

Correction found the Alpine Type R's on amazon for 161 with free shipping and the JL C5 3 ways on Amazon for $600 ........just curious are the Alpine speakers made in China ? not that it matters much these days , just curious

Yes I just read one of the reviews on Amazon, if your goin to use the Type R's you need to get an amp for them. Also read some more info on them , something about setting the crossovers at 2 or 4 , not the default of 0.

Not sure but probably I think everything is but that's there top of the line speaker so maybe not.

I think I might have some room for amps on the back wall behind the rear seats. A local shop owner suggested the same thing about stashing mini amps in the dash. I will give that some thought as well. thanks for the input. Is your Ford a crew cab or an ext cab ? , looks like you have more room than I do .

Archived