I agree that most smaller shops usually don't markup parts that much, usually 50% or less, dealers on the other hand charge 100% or more over cost.

I work for a wholesale parts distributor so I get to see cost vs list, it can be a real extreme difference depending on the part and dealers always charge list unless you know someone.

I can't really got into details about pricing but sometimes list can be 4x cost.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

One other thing to consider though is not all small shops can order from a wholesaler and have to go through parts stores so that can add to the cost.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I agree that most smaller shops usually don't markup parts that much, usually 50% or less, dealers on the other hand charge 100% or more over cost.

I work for a wholesale parts distributor so I get to see cost vs list, it can be a real extreme difference depending on the part and dealers always charge list unless you know someone.

I can't really got into details about pricing but sometimes list can be 4x cost.

That is how they earned the nickname stealerships. I have been doing this for a long time and its my firm belief that dealerships do not want you repairing your vehicle, they want you to buy a new one.

They want you to get them repaired, they make tons of money fixing cars, I'd bet it's way more than they make selling them.

I am not sure about that, with what they charge for parts and their labor rates most folks can not afford them unless its under warranty. I worked at a hand full back in the day and got sick of getting hosed on the book times. See they not only over charge their customers but they also ream their employees every chance they get.

I am sure there are some decent ones out there to work for, just none that I have found.

Archived