Firstly, I'm not sure if this is the right section to be posting in. Move it if you need.

So, I went to get a tire patched as well as all 4 rotated.

The shop said the leaky tire along with the other (both in the front) are pretty much trashed. I bought new tires and had them replaced, rotated, and aligned. They were unable to align it because it was so far off. I was told that the "Toe" and "Camber" was off and I needed a new "Bolt Kit" as well as "Struts".

Is the Bolt Kit and Strut easily replaceable? Is there an approximate dollar amount I can expect for a shop to take care of everything?

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (Silver)

Deck: Pioneer X3600BHS

Amps: RF P1000X5

Front: RF P16-S

Rear: RF P1694

Subs: 1 RF P3D2-10

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188246-caliber-build

Professional Networking: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kade-mallett-332b8a104

Not sure what a bolt kit is but some people have different terminology. struts aren't too bad depending on make/model.

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

What kinda car u drive , aftermarket struts are more adjustable then O.E but if it's that far off ,have u ever been in an accident or have a lift or lowering kit on your vehicle. If no I don't know why it can't be aligned , struts do get expensive depends how much u know about cars.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Firstly, I'm not sure if this is the right section to be posting in. Move it if you need.

So, I went to get a tire patched as well as all 4 rotated.

The shop said the leaky tire along with the other (both in the front) are pretty much trashed. I bought new tires and had them replaced, rotated, and aligned. They were unable to align it because it was so far off. I was told that the "Toe" and "Camber" was off and I needed a new "Bolt Kit" as well as "Struts".

Is the Bolt Kit and Strut easily replaceable? Is there an approximate dollar amount I can expect for a shop to take care of everything?

They probably referring to camber bolts...it will allow you to adjust the strut...as far as replacing them, it's easier than you think...cheaper to do it yourself.... check out rockauto.com if you trying to get parts for cheap....

Depends on what you want to do with the car and how you want it to sit/ how much adjustment you want to have.

Stock struts all the way around will run you about $300 for parts.

If you want to go all out and have a really nice suspension then this is the way to go.

https://www.modernperformance.com/product/BC_Coilover_Suspension_08-09_Caliber_SRT4/calibersrt4_suspension

It's not a very hard job at all if you have a proper set of tools.

You'll need an alignment after its done which you'd have to have a shop do no matter what.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Ok, so it sounds like you have a camber issue, with no factory adjustment for camber (quite common on strut suspensions). The bolt kit they are referring to is likely replacement lower strut retaining bolt(s) that will allow some camber adjustment. These bolts are simple to replace, but will need to be loosened to set the camber, and re-torqued (on the alignment rack). Some go in the strut to knuckle union, some go in the lower control arm to subframe union.

Changing struts will not affect camber unless one or more is currently bent, or the spring on the strut has weakened enough to change ride height, and increase negative camber. They may be just trying to sell struts, again very common at aftermarket shops.

Without more info, I would say that the requisite camber bolt kit would resolve the camber issue. Once that is corrected, the toe can be set, and you're good to go. Unless the struts are leaking/dead, or obviously damaged, you can probably leave them alone.

What kinda car u drive , aftermarket struts are more adjustable then O.E but if it's that far off ,have u ever been in an accident or have a lift or lowering kit on your vehicle. If no I don't know why it can't be aligned , struts do get expensive depends how much u know about cars.

09 Dodge Caliber

No accidents, no lowering/lifting kits

is this the 09 caliber in your sig?

That is correct, sir.

Ok, so it sounds like you have a camber issue, with no factory adjustment for camber (quite common on strut suspensions). The bolt kit they are referring to is likely replacement lower strut retaining bolt(s) that will allow some camber adjustment. These bolts are simple to replace, but will need to be loosened to set the camber, and re-torqued (on the alignment rack). Some go in the strut to knuckle union, some go in the lower control arm to subframe union.

Changing struts will not affect camber unless one or more is currently bent, or the spring on the strut has weakened enough to change ride height, and increase negative camber. They may be just trying to sell struts, again very common at aftermarket shops.

Without more info, I would say that the requisite camber bolt kit would resolve the camber issue. Once that is corrected, the toe can be set, and you're good to go. Unless the struts are leaking/dead, or obviously damaged, you can probably leave them alone.

Well, the place I brought it to doesn't do strut replacements. I don't feel like they were trying to sell me anything. They only do tire changes, alignments, and oil changes.

They referred me to another shop because they were "unable to set the alignment because of the struts and bolt kit" and "preferred I get a 2nd opinion". That's really all I know at this point. I dropped it off at the referred shop this morning to see what they say about the situation.

I'll post an update when they call me.

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (Silver)

Deck: Pioneer X3600BHS

Amps: RF P1000X5

Front: RF P16-S

Rear: RF P1694

Subs: 1 RF P3D2-10

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188246-caliber-build

Professional Networking: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kade-mallett-332b8a104

Lot of good advice so far on this thread. The only thing I can add is if you are thinking of doing this job yourself make sure you have a decent spring compressor and use it with caution. Unleashed fully compressed springs have been known to fly across shops and go through block walls, proceed with caution , safety first.

Curious to see what this other shop says. Was it recommended by the first shop, or someone you found that's unrelated?

Fishy that a shop that has the $$ to put into an alignment rack but not enough left over for the basic tools needed to do the job.

So this vehicle is still all OEM from what you've stated...struts don't really cause alignment problems. They may be worn and leaking or bouncy, but unless they are physically bent (I've never seen on a stock height vehicle unless it's been jumped and bottomed out) or rusted so badly the lower mount let loose partially from it's welds, they shouldn't inhibit a proper alignment. Also, the "bolt kit" wasn't necessary when the vehicle was new, the only reason it would be necessary now is if ball joints, bushings, or upper strut mounts are shot and sagging out of spec.

I'd recommend maybe taking it to an unrelated shop, depending on what this next one says.

Static drops are my bag.

Archived