Sundown Audio

Will I need a better alternator/battery?

JKB

definitely not. 1500 watt total rms on a system you should be able to get away with big 3. if, if, IF you get light dimming with that setup, you can get the xs power xp750 battery for around 70$ and that will fix that issue. Do not invest in higher batteries unless you plan to upgrade that system to a stronger one.

That model amp he said he bought is only 500 watts RMS (i looked it up) Its not 1500 watts RMS, unless you were talking about a different set up ?

The wattage your drawing isn't much (even for bare stock electrical).

Should be good to go (worse case scenario you upgrade the battery to a solid AGM brand, examples are Northstar and XS ).

If you want to be double sure you can always add a volt meter and monitor to see if it dips or not

The whole point of a big 3 upgrade is to lower the resistance of the charging system so you can draw more power from the alternator. This only benefits you if the stock wires cannot carry the current being drawn from the alternator. If the stock wires can carry the max current output from the alternator, than the big 3 upgrade will do nothing for you and now you have to look at a high output alternator. For your case though, a high output alternator is not really necessary since you are not running a high wattage system. I do not recommend getting a second battery as you have to wire it to the alternator anyway. Also, do not blare your system without the engine running as now you are running you're system just off the battery. The alternator for you're particular car should be fine for the system you want to run so I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

Archived