Sundown Audio

Will I need a better alternator/battery?

JKB

Hello, I am just starting into the car audio game and I have a couple questions.

I am installing a system into a 2000 Chevy Lumina.

I currently have a MTX RT04-12" subwoofer

-250w rms,

500w peak,

4ohm SVC

And I have ordered a Pioneer GM Digital Series GM-D8601 1600 Watt Monoblock Class D Amplifier.

at 4ohms this amp will draw 300w rms with a peak of about 500w. Will I need to get a better/beefier battery and a better/beefier alternator?

I also plan on upgrading to 2 10" Alpine SWA-10S4's wired to 2 ohms, to draw 500w rms and about 750-1000 peak. Will I need to upgrade then?

Also what does the 'big 3' mean?

With a 500 watt RMS amplifier you wont need a super high capacity battery, it would be a good idea to upgrade your battery to a quality AMG style battery any time you add electrical accessories to a vehical. AGM battery will discharge and recharge faster than a standard battery.

Look up in the electrical section, theres a pinned thread that explains the big three upgrade.

definitely not. 1500 watt total rms on a system you should be able to get away with big 3. if, if, IF you get light dimming with that setup, you can get the xs power xp750 battery for around 70$ and that will fix that issue. Do not invest in higher batteries unless you plan to upgrade that system to a stronger one.

But What Do I Know?

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 3.8

• JVC KD-R975BTS
  • Clarion EQS746
  • Kenwood P907PS
  • Ascendant Audio 12" Havoc v.1
  • Ampere Audio 2000.1
  • MB Quart Onyx 800.4
  • XS Power D3400 - Hood
  • XS Power D975 - Trunk
  • Singer 240A
  • Sky High OFC 0 & 4 gauge
  • Kno Knoise Kolossus Deadener

meh.. the big 3 wont help much since the alt is stock.. just add a good ground to the wiring

get a good battery agm up front and a small agm in the rear. lights will dim regardless of power draw. even if he has a 250a alternator on a 100a draw.. alternators have what you call lag.. the bigger the wire the more the lights dim.. the bigger wire allows for more current to flow though it so it drains the battery quicker resulting in light dim

meh.. the big 3 wont help much since the alt is stock.. just add a good ground to the wiring

get a good battery agm up front and a small agm in the rear. lights will dim regardless of power draw. even if he has a 250a alternator on a 100a draw.. alternators have what you call lag.. the bigger the wire the more the lights dim.. the bigger wire allows for more current to flow though it so it drains the battery quicker resulting in light dim

I agree with your theory on current draw, but not the dimming of the lights. I've ran a small RF system back in high school which was probably around 13-1400RMS with bass and miss/highs, big 3 on stock alt. no dimming. guess it all depends on the vehicle and electrical.

But What Do I Know?

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 3.8

• JVC KD-R975BTS
  • Clarion EQS746
  • Kenwood P907PS
  • Ascendant Audio 12" Havoc v.1
  • Ampere Audio 2000.1
  • MB Quart Onyx 800.4
  • XS Power D3400 - Hood
  • XS Power D975 - Trunk
  • Singer 240A
  • Sky High OFC 0 & 4 gauge
  • Kno Knoise Kolossus Deadener

or if you had HID.. i had a 340a mechman alternator that was putting out 246a at idle.. with the big 3 it had dimming issues on 100a draw.. switched to HiD lights and no more dimming

the bigger the wire you have the more it will help your equipment draw amperage from batteries and alternators.

or if you had HID.. i had a 340a mechman alternator that was putting out 246a at idle.. with the big 3 it had dimming issues on 100a draw.. switched to HiD lights and no more dimming

the bigger the wire you have the more it will help your equipment draw amperage from batteries and alternators.

I noticed that as well, even at about 1300 rms my headlights were dimming like a mother. but once I installed some HIDs the dimming stopped. Crazy how that works.

you have between 100-110 amp stock alt.... the big 3 will not help you since the stock wires can carry that current with out any problems, still does not hurt to do it if you have the wires just sitting around.... I had a 97 lumina pusing around 1000rms and never had any problems and using a lead acid wet cell no name battery.... you should be just fine

I noticed that as well, even at about 1300 rms my headlights were dimming like a mother. but once I installed some HIDs the dimming stopped. Crazy how that works.

HID lights have a ballast

Archived