Second Skin Audio

Determining port efficiency

That would be cool but that's gluing a lot of little pieces of wood together too though. Or if I really wanna do some fabrication what about a quarter circle? For my triangle I divided the port area(35/) by the inner circumference (28.625) and got 1.22 port ratio. Is that the right way to do it? So it's under 3-1 ratio which is all I'm worried about I guess

A triangle port is usually NOT going to be more efficient than a slot port, though it's going to depend on the shape of the triangle and the aspect ratio of the slot port you are comparing it to.

If you want a relatively easy way to compare port shapes calculate the ratio of port area to internal perimeter.

For example a 4" round port has 12.56 sq in of port area and - 12.56" perimeter (4 x pi) for a 1:1 ratio.

A 2" X 6" slot port has 12 sq in of port area and 16" of perimeter for a 1:1.33 ratio.

A 4" X 6" right angle triangle port has 12 sq in of port area and a perimeter of 17.21" for a 1:1.43 ratio.

Lower ratios are better.

alright, to what extent though, I tried this calculation for the port on my prefabbed box, 21 sq in port area/31 in perimeter and it's .67? 14x1.5 port on it

Yo triticum, and so I remember you talking about marginal output loss up to 3-1 ratio, but I'm having a hard time grasping this because all the examples I come up with in my head (5x7, 15x3 etc etc) are all just within decimal points of each other. 6x6 square is 1.5 ratio. 8x8 square is 2 ratio. But I know that would probably be appropriate for an 18 or something. Dudes I'm lost as hell.

That would be cool but that's gluing a lot of little pieces of wood together too though. Or if I really wanna do some fabrication what about a quarter circle? For my triangle I divided the port area(35/) by the inner circumference (28.625) and got 1.22 port ratio. Is that the right way to do it? So it's under 3-1 ratio which is all I'm worried about I guess

Those are two different ratios. The 3:1 ratio I was referring to was a slot port aspect ratio, which is width:height. So if you have a 3" wide by 12" tall port its aspect ratio would be 1:4 (3:12).

The ratio you are measuring is the area to circumference ratio, there are no guidelines as far as what it should be, its just a way to compare how much surface area different shaped ports of equal area have. Larger ports are going to give lower ratios anyway, so there are no right or wrong numbers, they are all relative.

And so what does port volume have to do with it?

Not much, its just how much space the port takes up inside the box. You just need to know what it is so you can accurately calculate your net volume.

Yo triticum, and so I remember you talking about marginal output loss up to 3-1 ratio, but I'm having a hard time grasping this because all the examples I come up with in my head (5x7, 15x3 etc etc) are all just within decimal points of each other. 6x6 square is 1.5 ratio. 8x8 square is 2 ratio. But I know that would probably be appropriate for an 18 or something. Dudes I'm lost as hell.

If your triangle port is a 90 degree triangle with equal width and height I guess that would make it a 1:1 aspect ratio. I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as it has at least 35 sq in of area you should be fine. You may be overthinking this a bit and that's probably somewhat my fault. The important things to remember is round ports are most efficient, the closer to round a port is, the better, but that doesn't mean other shapes can't work equally well, they just may need to be a little bigger.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived