Sundown Audio

Conceptual help with Amplifier...

PositiveCrew

You aren't setting your gain properly.

Even if you were there will be no audible difference between 1200 and 1500 watts.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

The gain is not a volume knob. it is used to match the output of the HU. using a multimeter to set the gain is not very reliable. i would look for someone in your area to set the gains using a DD-1 or O-scope. you can possibly get more out of the amp just make sure its not clipping.

You can't really, with out being able to see where the setup starts to clip it's all just a guess.

The multi meter method is a joke, the only way it would even work is if the subs impedance remained constant which it does not and even then you still have no way to see distortion and clipping.

I guess in a pinch it's better than nothing but it's not proper.

Oscopes can be had for around $100-$150 or the smd dd-1 is also in that price range, do yourself and your gear a favor and invest in one or the other.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

You can't really, with out being able to see where the setup starts to clip it's all just a guess.

The multi meter method is a joke, the only way it would even work is if the subs impedance remained constant which it does not and even then you still have no way to see distortion and clipping.

I guess in a pinch it's better than nothing but it's not proper.

Oscopes can be had for around $100-$150 or the smd dd-1 is also in that price range, do yourself and your gear a favor and invest in one or the other.

Thank you for the constructive help, it's much appreciated!

If you had to choose one or the other, would you rather have an Oscope or a DD-1?

Is there a benefit to purchasing both?

As I read reviews, the DD-1 only deals with distortion, so it's not perfect for setting gain. I haven't researched the Oscopes at all yet.

The dd-1 is what I would get, it's simple to use and detecting distortion is better than just seeing clipping.

Distortion can exist without clipping.

There are quite a few videos out there comparing a dd-1 and an oscope head to head, give me a minute and I'll post a couple for you.

Thanks a ton for the videos, bookmarked and will watch after this post.

So if I get a DD-1 with my current setup, I should be good to dial all the way up until the point right before distortion, and not worry, because as long as my amp is delivering clean signal, it won't exceed 1200W, and the subwoofer is rated to handle 1500W RMS, correct?

If I had a setup where it was reversed (amplifier more powerful than subwoofer) how would I use the DD-1 to set the gains? It would tell me when there is distortion, but wouldn't the possible level of clean signal potentially exceed the ability of the subwoofer?

I'm trying to get the most out of whatever setup I have, and I read that brands like SA, SQ, DD, etc are usually underrated on their subs and can handle more power.

As you said, a 1200W vs 1500W difference is not discernible by the ear (3db jump required for double loudness, afaik?) should I just not worry about ever trying for more than RMS? Are the people who go above and beyond RMS specs just doing it for competitions, or just more knowledgeable in general?

There is a lot that goes into how much power a sub will or will not handle and it will vary greatly based on lots of factors.

You would benefit the most from building a proper ported enclosure for that sub.

Do lots of reading and learn as much as you can then worry about upping the power but for now an enclosure is your best bet for getting louder.

If you were using a larger amplifier then you could find your max clean setting and dial back from there if need be or you can turn the volume knob down.

As you learn your gear and what it can and cannot handle you'll know when to turn the volume down.

Archived