Second Skin Audio

General questions about enclosure prices/building etc

Box building prices come down to how much materials are used and how much time it will take. Most builders know how long it takes them to build something so they should be able to look at a design and give you a quote.

Building a box isn't hard. You first results may not be pretty, but they should be functional. You can do it with just a jigsaw and a straight edge, having a circular saw and router helps though.

Aero ports are very space and airflow efficient. This is most true when you can use one large one. Once you starting using multiple aero ports their advantages diminish. If you need to use three or more you are probably better with a slot port, depending on the situation.

Ports of all shapes/styles can work well. They just have to be sized and laid out appropriately.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I'm glad you like my work!

I wouldn't call myself a "shop", I'm just a guy who build boxes for people as a hobby/sidejob when I'm not busy farming. I do it because its what I love to do.

Having a good design for your subwoofer can have a tremendous impact. A good design is of equal if not greater importance than the quality of the sub itself. As far as getting a design goes, you certainly can pay someone for one, but for a relatively simple ported box you should be able to a good design for free if you ask nicely. Just post the max dimensions of your space, what vehicle you have, and what amp you will be using and I'm sure you will get taken care of.

As far as what I charge people, I'm happy to answer any questions you have through PMs.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I'm glad you like my work!

I wouldn't call myself a "shop", I'm just a guy who build boxes for people as a hobby/sidejob when I'm not busy farming. I do it because its what I love to do.

Having a good design for your subwoofer can have a tremendous impact. A good design is of equal if not greater importance than the quality of the sub itself. As far as getting a design goes, you certainly can pay someone for one, but for a relatively simple ported box you should be able to a good design for free if you ask nicely. Just post the max dimensions of your space, what vehicle you have, and what amp you will be using and I'm sure you will get taken care of.

As far as what I charge people, I'm happy to answer any questions you have through PMs.

All I can say after starting on my first real box build (a simple sealed rectangle) and looking at your builds is WOW, that Miata Skar box LOOKS deceptively simple but then I saw how the port was done in there :shok: . You sir are an awesome craftsman.

Archived